Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer Bolt Removal problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer Bolt Removal problem

I went to back out the harmonic balancer bolt and I couldnt see the head of a bolt in there. I grabbed a flash light and looked in the hole, NO BOLT ! How in the **** can my underdrive pulley stay on with out a bolt? I havent messed with the balancer bolt since we did the cam swap 2 years ago almost. So I guess I am in need of finding a old balancer bolt, to stick in there in order to pull the underive pulley off.

Dane
Old 02-02-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

The pulley is held by a very tight press fit, so I can believe it.
You can get by without an old bolt to pull out the balancer- you can use about anything that fits in the hole, but doesn't completely go into the crank snout. This will make sense when you look at it, you just need something for the puller to push on.

Originally Posted by Juiced346
I went to back out the harmonic balancer bolt and I couldnt see the head of a bolt in there. I grabbed a flash light and looked in the hole, NO BOLT ! How in the **** can my underdrive pulley stay on with out a bolt? I havent messed with the balancer bolt since we did the cam swap 2 years ago almost. So I guess I am in need of finding a old balancer bolt, to stick in there in order to pull the underive pulley off.

Dane
Old 02-02-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

The pulley is held by a tight press fit, so I can believe it.
You can get by without an old bolt to pull out the balancer- you can use about anything that fits in the hole, but doesn't completely go into the crank snout. This will make sense when you look at it, you just need something for the puller to push on.

Originally Posted by Juiced346

Dane
Old 02-02-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe it too. As far as what to use to get the pulley off you can try different size/length deep sockets to push against the crank while using the puller...that's how I got mine off.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe as well. I know when I put my pulley on, it was on TIGHT! Even without the balancer bolt, I don't think that thing was going anywhere.