Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those who welded true duals. What if you need to remove system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for those who welded true duals. What if you need to remove system?

I want to know how secure the system is with band clamps securing the sections.

Have any of you bottomed out the mufflers with band clamps securing the sections? If so, then what happened?

I would like to get it welded, but I don't see how you would take the header to duals section off easily in the event that I need to remove the duals.

thoughts?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

If you're worried about removing the system, then welding it is the best thing you can do. If it's all welded together, you can just unbolt the hangers from the floor pan (assuming your duals are dumped) and slide them off the header collectors. That's it. Takes like 2 minutes to bolt them back up too. Plus, there is no readjusting necessary.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what you are saying. I was thinking about this too. Since our headers are flared out opposed to straight back I don't really think you can weld all of it together and then actually slip it on/off the headers. One side has to be adjustable. To verify this out, leave it all clamped together and just loosen the header clamps and see if you can pull it off and put it back on again. Then that will tell you if you can weld it up. I am planning on doing that this spring with my system too.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

I have the Lane's duals and mine are all welded up you can take them off the headers and put them back on in one piece. The only part not welded is were the pipes fit the collectors it has a band clamp on it there.