Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Exhaust Tips and Rear Skirt

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Exhaust Tips and Rear Skirt

I recent bought SLP Loudmouth exhaust and installed it. It sounds great, but I cannot put the tips on because they rub on the rear skirt. Will they get hot enought to damage the skirt if I put the tips on, should I leave the tips off, or should I try to find some smaller tips or some flat tips? I dont want to mess the car up, and I dont want to die from CO poisoning!!

Thanx in advance!!

Casey
(Known Mods, Got the Car Used from a Lot)
"I Refuse to Have a Battle of Wits With An Un-Armed Person"
Old 03-17-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by drummerguy77@sbcglob
I recent bought SLP Loudmouth exhaust and installed it. It sounds great, but I cannot put the tips on because they rub on the rear skirt. Will they get hot enought to damage the skirt if I put the tips on, should I leave the tips off, or should I try to find some smaller tips or some flat tips? I dont want to mess the car up, and I dont want to die from CO poisoning!!

Thanx in advance!!

Casey
Sounds like you need to adjust the LM some. The tips should sit well below the bumper. I would at least have a 1/2" clearance from the bumper to the tips.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by psykoTA
Sounds like you need to adjust the LM some. The tips should sit well below the bumper. I would at least have a 1/2" clearance from the bumper to the tips.
It looks like the tips would have that clearance if I didnt have the stock skirt all the way around the car.

As far as adjusting them, where would I make changes, everything seemed to fit just right and seemed pretty solid once put into place. There is a clamp at the y-pipe, a clamp going up over the axle, and a clamp connecting the right pipe. Everything went right into the stock hangers, the original exhaust was not sagging at all and the new exhaust pretty much lines up where the original was, just the original had the flat tips and the LM have a big-*** round tip.

Thanx

Casey

(Known Mods, Got the Car Used from a Lot)
"I Refuse to Have a Battle of Wits With An Un-Armed Person"
Old 03-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Teching In

this may not sound like the "proper"way to do it,but try prying down on the pipe to get the clearance you need.stick a bar or a big screwdrider inside the pipe itself and put your weight into it,it will tweak some,maybe enough for the tips to clear.