Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout cause stumbling???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutout cause stumbling???

I had a cutout recently installed, and opened it up last weekend and it sounded great! It is located behind the Y-pipe in the I-pipe just before the Borla. I made about ten 4 mile trips around town and all the sudden the car started stumbling in low rpm ranges and would stumble under WOT at a couple of different points like the car wasn't tuned at all. Could this be the cause of the stumbling? Nothing else out of the ordinary has occured with the car.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kapedogg
I had a cutout recently installed, and opened it up last weekend and it sounded great! It is located behind the Y-pipe in the I-pipe just before the Borla. I made about ten 4 mile trips around town and all the sudden the car started stumbling in low rpm ranges and would stumble under WOT at a couple of different points like the car wasn't tuned at all. Could this be the cause of the stumbling? Nothing else out of the ordinary has occured with the car.
I had a 73 Corvette with L82 and LTs into stock pipes and stock mufflers. When I changed to dual chambered pipe, my car did the same thing. Ran great for about 10 minutes then started to hesitate and gradually get worse till i had to stop the car and let it cool to continue. I wound up having to disconnect the vacuum advance with mine and it was totally fine after that. I think that when I went with the 3.5" chambered pipe with no mufflers that it created a backpressure issue and adjusting the timing (disconnecting the Vac advance) corrected it. I dont know if what I did was the correct way of fixing this, and it wont work on an ls1 obviously, but I would look to a timing fix.

Casey
Old 03-17-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

any other mods besides a borla?
Old 03-17-2005, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Lingenfelter ported/polished LS1 heads, GT2-3 cam, Ported Throttle Body, TR-6 plugs, Air lid, Mac mid lengths, ORY, Borla, Free mods including removal of EGR/AIR. TNT wet kit installed, but never used. Various stereo equipment with 2 amps
Old 03-17-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I really doubt its the cutout. I installed one in my car and I haven't had a problem
Old 03-17-2005, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

That's what I figured, but I thought I'd ask