Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Block Powdercoating

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Block Powdercoating

I have searched and found info on powdercoating a 6.0 block but what are the feelings on having an LS1 block coated? I talked to the guy that will be powder coating all my other parts and he said that he has done it before to a big block so the oven is big enough. BTW the price is right so that is not a concern.
So my questions are...
1. Will the baking process affect the liners?
2. How much more heat will be held in by the coating?
3. Will the coating last long or not in a car that will see the road from time to time? (I know the coating last long on other parts but with oil seep under the coating?)
4. Coat before machine work? (I am more worried about liner shift and stuff more than a few scratches in the coating)

BTW I am thinking red for in a blue Iroc.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Aluminum does not do well with powder coating, not that it doesn't look nice but the only wheel failures I've seen recently were powder coated aluminum, which tells me the process must weaken or change the molecular structure of the metal. I used a marine epoxy paint to paint an aluminum boat, used a brush and it laid down so nice most everyone thought it had been sprayed. five years of salt water use and it still looked like new.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lost
Aluminum does not do well with powder coating, not that it doesn't look nice but the only wheel failures I've seen recently were powder coated aluminum, which tells me the process must weaken or change the molecular structure of the metal. I used a marine epoxy paint to paint an aluminum boat, used a brush and it laid down so nice most everyone thought it had been sprayed. five years of salt water use and it still looked like new.
He is probably talking about a iron block 6.0..
Old 03-20-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

No I was talking about an aluminum block. I think I have decided not to do it because of the heat retention that it may cause. That and the fact I would rather have a clean aluminum block than one with burnt/discolored paint on it.