Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual Header Lengths

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 12:10 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Actual Header Lengths

I'm trying to pick a header..and I want to pick one that is truely the right length for what my setup will be...

basically wondering who's Longtubes are what length primary's
example...
Brand A Primary length 34 inches on 1.75 tubes
Brand B Primary length 32.75 inches on 1.875 tubes

make sense?? can anybody help me??
Old 03-22-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I'm trying to pick a header..and I want to pick one that is truely the right length for what my setup will be...
basically wondering who's Longtubes are what length primary's
example...
Brand A Primary length 34 inches on 1.75 tubes
Brand B Primary length 32.75 inches on 1.875 tubes
make sense?? can anybody help me??
Brand A will build power sooner in the RPM range than brand B.
I would try to match the primary diameter to the size of the engine and the power range it will be designed to work best in.
I'd go with a length that compliments that same power range.

If you were looking for a high RPM power peak on a large cube engine like a 408 or bigger, then the 1.75" tube may not be a good match due to exhaust velocity rising too early in the RPM range. In that case you'd go to a larger size to match the cubes.

If your shift recovery RPM is very high along with your power peak, then it may be better to run the shorter length primary. There is software out there to match primary length to RPM range, but if you cannot find it, talk to a competant header manufacturer.

Since most people racing quarter mile with their street car run automatic transmissions with under 400 cubes, and peak power relatively early in the range, the best pick would be Brand A. It just depends on combination... and even then it's best to actually test to see which one works out the best performance wise, since dyno's aren't the end-all.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know all of that...
My question was IF anybody knew the actual sizes and lengths of any of the brands...
Meaning...Hooker headers??? what length primary for the ones that I can buy through about 50 different sponsors on here...
Kooks?? what length??
any other brands...what lengths...
I'm just looking fo r#'s so I can match it myself for where I want the power to be
Old 03-22-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kooks and QTPs would be at the top of my list. Probably better to call them and get the info directly... and then post it here.