Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain... quick help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Timing chain... quick help please!

I heard it's best to change your timing chain every 60,000-65,000 miles. Well i'm near that point, and reguardless if that's a true fact or not, i want a new timing chain. I remember reading somewhere that a LS2 chain is the best chain to get for it's money! It's like $30 bucks or something, and you can count on it. Well where do i find it? Anyone know any good places to shop online for it? Oh, and if someone knows another good chain, please feel free. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get one from a sponsor on the right, like scoggin dickey... i don't really think it's worth the trouble to pop a new one in just for the hell of it. At least get a pulley and do it while you were down there.

Well, from your location, I want to say thanks and stay safe!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree it's not worth it to do it by itself. Wait till you do a cam or oil pump. When you do the cam that's the time to do the pulley. The guy that did my timing chain,pump,cam, and everything else said timing chain on these cars last a while and rarely fail. I think you're thinking of a timing belt every 60k. Chains tend to last longer. When you do a chain go with the LS2 which is now the replacement chain for the LS1 you can no longer get a LS1 chain IIRC. SDPC (sponsor) has them for like $28.75.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. Its timing belts found on most common FWD cars and imports that are important to change every 60K. Chains are sturdier. It used to be recommended to change the timing chain at 100K on v8 motors, but i dont think theres even a recommended change interval nowadays. Keep the stocker till you do a cam swap.