Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catted Y-Pipe query

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catted Y-Pipe query

OK I got coated hooker headers from summit for a good price and fast shipping. They came with evrything I need, O2 extensions, gaskets, bolts, air blocking plate whatever. Now I'm getting a TSP catted y. Do I need O2 sims? if I do need them why would I need them? also what is the air blocking plate for? anything else I need tuning wise?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by REDWS6CHICK
OK I got coated hooker headers from summit for a good price and fast shipping. They came with evrything I need, O2 extensions, gaskets, bolts, air blocking plate whatever. Now I'm getting a TSP catted y. Do I need O2 sims? if I do need them why would I need them? also what is the air blocking plate for? anything else I need tuning wise?
You will need O2 sims for the rear O2's to keep the SES light from coming on. If this doesn't bother you then I would skip the sims and just have the rear 02's deleted when you get it tuned. As far as gaskets go I would just reuse your stock ones or get the original metal ones from GM, the paper ones they supply are worthless. The air block off plate is incase you want to remove your airpump, you will need to block off these connections. If you are keeping your air/egr I recommend to the air restrictor mod to keep the check valves from burning up. Good luck, can't wait to get my car out of storage so I can put my LT's on
Old 03-28-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chevy01SS
You will need O2 sims for the rear O2's to keep the SES light from coming on. If this doesn't bother you then I would skip the sims and just have the rear 02's deleted when you get it tuned. As far as gaskets go I would just reuse your stock ones or get the original metal ones from GM, the paper ones they supply are worthless. The air block off plate is incase you want to remove your airpump, you will need to block off these connections. If you are keeping your air/egr I recommend to the air restrictor mod to keep the check valves from burning up. Good luck, can't wait to get my car out of storage so I can put my LT's on

I'm keeping everything as it is, will I still need to put the block off plate in? I guess I do need the o2 sims because I am deciding to get tuned or not. Now the gaskets Hooker provided me with are useless? will the stock ones go with the hooker headers?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by REDWS6CHICK
I'm keeping everything as it is, will I still need to put the block off plate in? I guess I do need the o2 sims because I am deciding to get tuned or not. Now the gaskets Hooker provided me with are useless? will the stock ones go with the hooker headers?
If your not removing air then you will not need the block off plates, you will just connect the air hoses to the fittings on the header, but I recommend you do the check valve mod:

http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=11

The gaskets provided by most header companies are ****, just reuse your stock ones if they are not damaged, but I would just get a new set from GM ($20). Paper gaskets tend to get blown out, you'll thank yourself for using the GM ones.

As far as tuning, your car will probably run pig rich after the LT's go in, I'd look into having Slowhawk at DezRacing tune your car, he's the best in this area.