Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Help Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Exhaust Help Needed?

Hey guys
Well to start off, i have a 2000 ws6 and i want to redo my entire exhaust and i was really considering the true duals but i want to lower my car sometime and i just don't know if this is going to be a very good idea. And plus, if i got true duals i wanted to run them out the back of the car which is going to cost me and arm and a leg. So i think i might just try to go with new headers. a y pipe with high flow cat(to pass inspection) and maybe gmmg exhaust b/c i hear that it sounds the best. So here's my questions?

1.) First off do u think that this is a good idea instead of true duals b/c of the reasons? OPINIONS PLEASE?

2.) How loud of a setup would it be with LT, Catted Ypipe and gmmg exhaust? CAUSE I WANT SOMETHING LOUD AND DEEP!

3.) How much of a sound difference between no cats and Hi-flow cats?

4.) I tried looking for the gmmg exhaust or muffler on ebay but i didn't find any for sale b/c im trying to find it cheaper b/c i can't afford it from the company. Any ideas of where i can find it cheaper?

5.) ANY COMMENTS PLEASE? IDEAS? whatever just please help me out

THANKS GUYS
Old 04-06-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

you will like the sound, but doing a full exhaust setup ( headers, y pipe, and especially gmmg catback) will cost you a bunch of money!!! Personally I'd pass on lowering the car, and get true duals! **** emissions!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True duals will sound deeper, meaner, and better IMO than a y-pipe setup.
If you get duals i think u can get away w/ a 1in drop i believe but no more
LTs and catted Y will be loud and no cats will be louder but have a lil more raspy/snarling sound depending on muffler used.
But if u have to pass smog inspections then just get a catted y w/ cutouts aft of the cats so u can cap when being tested and once ur done u uncap it. Dual cutouts will be very loud. I used to have mac mids w/ 2.5in hi flow y with dual cutouts aft of the cats on my 6sp SS and it was nice & LOUD!
Tried the same thing w/ my 99 A4 z28 but it didnt sound so good guess cuz it was a slush box so if u got an A4 id recommend a single cutout in the I-pipe, jus my opinion though. Trust me, it'll still be loud! Dual cutouts in 6sp
Dunno if they make LTs that'll pass inspection even w/ hiflow cats but i dunno much bout smog tests since we have none in bama.
If ur not worried bout emissions testing then id go w/ the 3in x-pipe with dumps but if ur state requires you pass then you better stick to no more than mac 1 3/4 mids which are good hedders anyway
Hope that helped!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 1.5 inch drop on my SS with TD's off of my stock manifolds and cats. No clearance issues whatsoever. Speed bumps were not a problem. Just had to be careful when driving and pay attention. I had Flo-Pro Twisters with turn-downs right before the axle. After reading all the threads on here, you should get duals.....you will eventually anyway. If you do a set-up with Sweet Thunders you should get the sound you want. That is my plan eventually. Right now I just have the Pacesetter LT's on the way. Try LS1sounds.com.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I had a 1.5 inch drop on my SS with TD's off of my stock manifolds and cats. No clearance issues whatsoever. Speed bumps were not a problem. Just had to be careful when driving and pay attention. I had Flo-Pro Twisters with turn-downs right before the axle. After reading all the threads on here, you should get duals.....you will eventually anyway. If you do a set-up with Sweet Thunders you should get the sound you want. That is my plan eventually. Right now I just have the Pacesetter LT's on the way. Try LS1sounds.com.
Was this a 3in or 2.5in setup. If you are lowering at all I would recommend going with a 2.5in setup. You cannot beat the sound of true duals, go for it!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

if you install the headers and duals yourself it wont cost **** to have them ran to the back man. Go to a local exhaust shop and tell them you want flanges added on and it will cost you about 150 bucks tops. and if your planning on having someone install the whole thing for you dont ask them over the phone because alot of exhaust shops i talked to acted like duals on f-bodys were impossible. And for the record clearence can be an issue with any exhaust in some cases....just be careful and watch where your driving.