Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drill crank bolt to get puller on center?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 05:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb drill crank bolt to get puller on center?

so the crank pully is being a bitch and is not coming off. i alreay fucked up a 3 jaw puller but kragens hooked it up with a new one. on the one i broke , the point got worn out and made a lot of scratches on the crank bolt too. i alreay got the bolt off by the way. so i was wonder if it was ok to drill a small hole on the head of the crank bolt so i can center the crank pully and get it off?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put an old socket on the bolt and use the square to center it
Old 04-27-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OnE Ls1 2 HaTe
so the crank pully is being a bitch and is not coming off. i alreay fucked up a 3 jaw puller but kragens hooked it up with a new one. on the one i broke , the point got worn out and made a lot of scratches on the crank bolt too. i alreay got the bolt off by the way. so i was wonder if it was ok to drill a small hole on the head of the crank bolt so i can center the crank pully and get it off?
I dont think a small hole is a bad idea at all. The point of my 3 jaw puller was worn down as well. Also when the threaded rod isnt centered its more likely to bend(mine did). The obvious answer would be to drill a hole in the factory (or longer if you have one)crank bolt then switch out a brand new one.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
I put an old socket on the bolt and use the square to center it
I thought of that as well, but with nothing but snap-on tools that kinda rulled that one right on outta there
Old 04-27-2005, 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
I thought of that as well, but with nothing but snap-on tools that kinda rulled that one right on outta there

Autozone......$2.xx for a socket?

If you have a good puller with a socket it should come off. Helps to have a spare set of hands too.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

i heard that there is a completly different tool to use...but i may be wrong...but i will come down to help u with extra hands!!