Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS INOP and ASR OFF lights on at the same time = ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ABS INOP and ASR OFF lights on at the same time = ???

Anyone know what this means? I was driving this morning and I looked down and they were on. I didnt hear any funny noises and the car drove fine. I pulled over and turned off the car and started it again. The lights were on for a few seconds after the others had turned off, but they went off before I started moving. The rest of the day, about 40 miles, they stayed off. Does this mean anything? I tried a search but didnt come up with anything. Yesterday my car wouldnt start due to the messed up key cylinder, I am not sure if they would be related at all. Thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing, after dropping the tire off the edge of the driveway,the lights were on all the way to work, went off the next time I started the car, (to go home) hasn't happened again, NFC what happened or why the lights went off, but seems to drive fine, ASR (mine would be TCS on a TA) works, ABS works, so I guess it's all good
Old 05-03-2005, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

sounds like a wheel speed sensor problem. Check the rear sensors to see if they are plugged and are working properly. That's the only thing I think that the ABS and ASR work together on.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Mine did the same thing, after dropping the tire off the edge of the driveway,the lights were on all the way to work, went off the next time I started the car, (to go home) hasn't happened again, NFC what happened or why the lights went off, but seems to drive fine, ASR (mine would be TCS on a TA) works, ABS works, so I guess it's all good
Hmm... I did put the rear end through a fairly large pot hole that that I normally don't drive through. I thought that that might be the problem because I did it on accident, I usually avoid it. Maybe I'll drive through it again tomarrow and see what happens. Its not a damaging pothole by the way.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Teching In

im pretty sure that ur problem is an ABS sensor, i had the same problem not to long ago
Old 05-04-2005, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Your ASR is operated through the ABS, if the ABS has a problem you will not have Traction Control. However, if your rear wheels spin with out the front ones moving, the computer will think you have an ABS problem and both lights will light. Figured this one out on the dyno, my GTP did the same thing. if you keep all the wheeels moving, the lights should turn off, if it doesn't, you have an ABS problem.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Happened to me after a long burnout. It reset itself after a couple starts.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same to me after some really bad wheelhop in a wet parking lot.

It went off the next morning.

Like others have said, just check your wheel sensors and see if any are loose. Other than that, the only thing I think you could do is reset the PCM, then see if it turns the lights off.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

Wheel sensor. My '95Z had this problem and it was the wheel sensor.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine came on after my car was towed yesturday. The ******* tried towing it w/ the rear wheels on the ground, while in gear w/ parking brake on. There were long scrape marks before they realized (?!?!) it was rear wheel drive.

Somehow they also hit my exhaust w/ something and its lose now, scratched my car, and covered it in mud! Sorry, thought Id vent a bit even though a bit off topic.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

mine is doing the same thing as yours (first post). I went to a shop to get my car scanned and no codes came up. Also we checked the wheel sensors while driving and all was fine. If it is a wheel sensor how can i tell which sensor it is that is going bad?
Old 05-27-2005, 03:32 AM
Launching!

Mine is doing the very same thing. The lights won't go out no matter what I do. How can you tell which sensor is bad. Anyone?
Old 05-28-2005, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

I had the exact same problem and was trying for weeks from shops in the east coast to shops in the west coast to see what was wrong. THing is the Snap-On scanners which is what most people use at shops will not pick up which sensor is going bad when the engine throws a code. THis mechanic i went to here in california used some other scanner and picked it up no problem. Turns out my front left sensor took a dump. Using a really high end scanner will tell you which sensor has gone bad. Bost usually its a sensor that is bad. If you have to get a new one, make sure you get it from gmparts direct, 55$$ vs. $120 bux from your local shop. BTW anyone know how easy these things are to change on your own?
Old 05-28-2005, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having the same problem? Burnout04 do u know what kind of scanner ur mechanic use to find the wheel sensor gone bad?Thanx!
Old 05-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by armkneez8
I'm having the same problem? Burnout04 do u know what kind of scanner ur mechanic use to find the wheel sensor gone bad?Thanx!
Good question. I have HPTuner and it doesn't show anything for the TCS and ABS for being on.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Good news!!! I lifted the back in to install my new girdle and found the driver's side rear wheel sensor unplugged. There is a module about 18 inches from this wheel nicely tucked away where these sensors are plugged in. I plugged this back in and wha-lah....the ABS and TCS lights went away after driving approximately 1/4 mile.

Quick Reply: ABS INOP and ASR OFF lights on at the same time = ???