Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tempature sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tempature sending unit

will that keep your car from starting, i was told it will not let it fire. it got broke dealer cant get 1 till friday i have a new forged motor was just wanting to crank it for a minitute to see if i have oil pressure.

any help thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 02:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

the temp sending unit on the front of the driver side head is just for the temp gauge on the dash. if its reading hot, the computer will alter the timing and such accordingly, but i dont see why you cant start it up for a minute. if it went bad while you were on the road it would still run. but you could wait till friday if your scared, i dont see how it would funk your motor up though.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:07 AM
Staging Lane

the problem is it wont fire it turns over im thinking without that sensor plugged in it throws it in a loop cycle so it cant fire up
Old 05-05-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont see why you couldnt get one at any car parts place. my friend got one for his 96 ta at murrays for like 35 bucks or something. anyway, might as well wait till friday now, unless you can get it at murrays or autozone, which i think you can...
Old 05-05-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
First I find it hard to believe that the engine will not start because of the temperature sensor. By the way, I thought with the sensor disconnected, it looked like the the engine was cold, so I still beieve it isn't the problem. I would be looking other places.

The temperature sensor is just a resistance device, I would get a 10K resistor and jumper the plug. I don't remember if it is a 2 wire connection or 1. If it is 2, jumper the pins with a 1K resistor or 1 wire then 1 end of the resistor to the pin and the other end to the chassis. It will like it isn't open.
Bill
Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Hi Folks
First I find it hard to believe that the engine will not start because of the temperature sensor. By the way, I thought with the sensor disconnected, it looked like the the engine was cold, so I still beieve it isn't the problem. I would be looking other places.
:
If you dont believe it, fire up your car and unplug it.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car kind of ran with a bad temp. sensor if you would give it a little gas to keep it running. It ran horrible. It was missing, and bucking. I figure you might be able to turn it over for a few seconds to check for oil psi, but I wouldn't run it for too long, if it will even run at all. I don't know if it would turn over with a bad sensor if it was cold. My car was warmed up when the sensor just quit working...