Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAC header question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAC header question

So I installed MAC headers with the Catted Y-pipe. (I know the MAC cats flow like crap) I didn't weld any of it. I'm thinking about having the joints welded to prevent air from sneaking out. Is this a bad idea or will I be better off having it welded?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Launching!

well those ball joints seal pretty well. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble. I would install it up and drive around and see if it leaks, then yoyu can have it welded if you need to. Why spend money on something if you don't need to. I wouldn't weld them up anyway because if you have any trans problems or for some reason where you have to pull those pipes down, your going to have to cut them. I ran my longtubes for months with blown gaskets and it was'nt even that annoying since the radio drowned out any little noise they made, and they were leaking pretty bad. If they do leak a little it won't throw off the engine as this will be past the front 02 sensors, now if the header block gasket leaks you could then have trouble since this is before the front 02's the rear 02's are there to see if the cats are working properly.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

You could always do what I did. Go to a local exhaust shop and ask them do tighten the bolts on the connections down with an impact gun or air wrench. Mine were leaking after my install only because we just couldn't get in there right to tighten them down properly. Any shop would probably charge around $20 and take less than 10 mins to do.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some high temp sealent and tighten them bolts good and you should be fine