Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling Exhaust!??!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Exhaust!??!

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Awhile back I got 3" catback exhaust from flowmaster and I put it on and everything went fine. I left the pins pointing down because I knew I would hafta tighten em anyway later so I let them alone. It didnt rattle to bad.. only at startup then it would smooth out, figured id take care of it later.

Well when I put it back up and moved the pins up and tightene'd REAL tight .. I tried movin the muffler down because I seen it was resting against the Heat Shield.. I got it down about half an inch where it wasnt touching, but I guess it worked its way back onto it because it rattles like a soniva B*$ch.

Anyone got any ideas to keep it off the shield? or any suggestions on what would be safe and rattle free to put between the 2.. oorrrr can I just take the heat shield off? I hate to tho cause of the gas tank being on the other side. Any input would be great, THX!!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Juts_Camaro
Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Awhile back I got 3" catback exhaust from flowmaster and I put it on and everything went fine. I left the pins pointing down because I knew I would hafta tighten em anyway later so I let them alone. It didnt rattle to bad.. only at startup then it would smooth out, figured id take care of it later.

Well when I put it back up and moved the pins up and tightene'd REAL tight .. I tried movin the muffler down because I seen it was resting against the Heat Shield.. I got it down about half an inch where it wasnt touching, but I guess it worked its way back onto it because it rattles like a soniva B*$ch.

Anyone got any ideas to keep it off the shield? or any suggestions on what would be safe and rattle free to put between the 2.. oorrrr can I just take the heat shield off? I hate to tho cause of the gas tank being on the other side. Any input would be great, THX!!
TTT for you. I have the same problem. Mine is also rattling just under the driver's seat.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Are you talking about the rear heat shield by the gas tank? If so, I bent mine about an inch on the passenger side where it was rattling against the inlet pipe to the muffer (I also have the Flowmaster 3" system). That solved the problem. Used a big pair of pliers to bend the heat shield.

Hope this helps.

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 05-24-2005, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

cut some radiator hose and put it between the pipe and the heat shield i have bout 4 pieces under my car. it works and will not melt.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by anLS1x2
TTT for you. I have the same problem. Mine is also rattling just under the driver's seat.
Me too. I think mine's hitting on the cross brase that goes under where the catback attaches up to the Y pipe. I'm thinking of just pulling that thing off. I've got some rattling going on, too. I don't have the Flowmaster system, though. I'm sure they all rattle in about the same spots.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by USMARINE1108
Me too. I think mine's hitting on the cross brase that goes under where the catback attaches up to the Y pipe. I'm thinking of just pulling that thing off. I've got some rattling going on, too. I don't have the Flowmaster system, though. I'm sure they all rattle in about the same spots.
Yeah I took off the crossbrace and that stopped some of the harder knocking but I still have a raspy rattle just under my seat. I think it may be hitting on the oil/transmission cooling lines heat shield. I used to have a brace on my y-pipe there but I thought it was doing more bad than good (causing more vibration) so I guess I'll get under there and see if I can't manage to place it in a better position.