Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble finding an exhaust leak!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 06:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble finding an exhaust leak!

Hi, I just bought a '96 V6 Camaro a few weeks ago. The car had headers and exhaust on it when I bought it. Well...it had an audible exhaust leak on the drivers side, it turns out all of the bolts for the headers were only in finger tight! That ended up blowing the gasket on the drivers side, so I replaced it this weekend. That solved my exhaust leaks, until 2 days ago I got another one. This one was from the passenger side. So, I check it out last night and can't feel anything around the passenger side header, but I do notice whoever installed them never put the back 2 bolts in the header! [rant.gif] So, I put those 2 bolts in, still have a leak though. Next, I find a leak on the passenger side collector, these bolts are also not tight! I tighten those up and the leak stops, but I don't think I was getting the audible tick-tick-tick from that leak, and I STILL have the noise.

I cannot track this one down, it is definatley on the passenger side, but I can feel nothing around the header. So, I got to thinking...since all of the bolts on this car were barely tightened, what would happen if one of the spark plugs is not tightened? Could I get this type of noise from a spark plug being loose? Any other places I should look?

Thanks for any help, this is getting very frustrating!