Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving me crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving me crazy!!!

Ok, I just got my car driving a couple weeks ago or so after a year of workin on it. But the problem is Ive been wating forever for my longtubes to come and I have been driving the car open shorties. I got pulled over the first time I drove my car around the block because it was sooo loud . Is there anything I can temporarily do to muffle the sound so I can drive it places? I cant do anything fancy because I cant weld/dont have the tools. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris
Old 06-07-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92CamaroReallySlow
Ok, I just got my car driving a couple weeks ago or so after a year of workin on it. But the problem is Ive been wating forever for my longtubes to come and I have been driving the car open shorties. I got pulled over the first time I drove my car around the block because it was sooo loud . Is there anything I can temporarily do to muffle the sound so I can drive it places? I cant do anything fancy because I cant weld/dont have the tools. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris
Driving around with open shorties isn't the the best thing for your heads/valves. The only thing you can really do is to bolt up some stock cats to those shorties and add a y-pipe. It'll be loud, but the sound will be farther back, and a bit muffled by the cats.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont drive it really at all. I only drove it around the block a few times, that first night. But even if I bolted the cats on (which i dont have) it would create more backpressure and not be as bad on the exhaust valves? Because thats what is bad for the valves, lack of backpressure correct? But the problem is what cats and ypipe would I use, this is an ls1 in a thirdgen so nothing is going to fit up right without having someone make me a y-pipe, which im not going to do until I get my longtubes.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92CamaroReallySlow
I dont drive it really at all. I only drove it around the block a few times, that first night. But even if I bolted the cats on (which i dont have) it would create more backpressure and not be as bad on the exhaust valves? Because thats what is bad for the valves, lack of backpressure correct? But the problem is what cats and ypipe would I use, this is an ls1 in a thirdgen so nothing is going to fit up right without having someone make me a y-pipe, which im not going to do until I get my longtubes.

Alright, this may sound like ****, but it's probably the cheapest thing to do. Just go find an exhaust shop and have them run straight pipes right off the shorties, and as far back as you're willing to pay for. It should be really cheap, and it shouldn't be that loud as long as you're not romping on it.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm might not be a bad idea...this is only temporary dont forget. My buddy works at a merlin so i might be able to get it done cheap. The only problem would be getting it to the shop without a) damaging anything as you said its not great to run on open shorties, b) not having anything else break on me, c) not getting pulled over (probably would). I could borrow a trailer and trailer it but thats a lot of work just for a temporary fix. But I should find out tomarrow how long its going to take for headers to come, if its much longer I might take that route.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cheapest thing is to not drive it, but Venoms idea has merit as well. I would recommend not driving it.

I know it sucks, but open shorties is not a good thing to do and it will be really f-in loud as you found out yourself.