Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Dealer Checkup

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Dealer Checkup

I just recieved a form letter from GM saying that I should come in for my 12,000 mile checkup, my question is what does that include? What do they do that I cant do myself? and if there is something that they have to do is it worth taking to the dealership?
Thanks

James
Old 06-20-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default GM Dealer Checkup

I just recieved a form letter from GM saying that I should come in for my 12,000 mile checkup, my question is what does that include? What do they do that I cant do myself? and if there is something that they have to do is it worth taking to the dealership?
Thanks

James
Old 06-21-2005, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Do you have your owner's manual? Follow the recommended service/maintenance that's there and completely ignore the dealer. They'll tell you your car needs 42 jobs, all fluids changed, road-testing, and they need to keep it for a couple of days. Then they'll charge you an arm and a leg.

I'm totally exagerrating, by the way. You get the point, though. Let's just say that their maintenance schedule runs a little busier/more expensive than the original manufacturer's recommendations found the owner's manual. They send me letters every 3 months and I'm like WTF, jerks? I haven't even driven my damned car yet!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

all it is is a service reminder. and sure they want your business, but there only doing there job thats how they make there money. not everybody knows what there doing or has the time. if its a reputable dealer they shouldnt rip you off, even the local mechanic could be a shyster. dealers got a bad rap during the 80's by overpricing parts. sorry for the long explanation but i was a parts guy, unfortunatly i was the low man.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont go to the dealer, half the time they dont do waht they say anyway. do it yourself, its not hard