Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace view tube for Greddy catch can ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default replace view tube for Greddy catch can ?

I made the mistake of throwing away the clear OE 'view tube' for my Greddy catch can when it turned brown. I replaced it with 1/8" vinyl tubing from Home Depot (which is what the OE tube appeared to be) but it goes soft when the can gets hot and leaks all over...

What can I use to replace it that will hold up to heat, or where can I get a replacement ? I'm going to call Greddy this morning but thought I'd ask... I might just plug the damn thing.

Here's what I'm talking about :

Thanks for any help.
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 06-27-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, surgical tubing won't cut it. You want something like a hard plastic "straw" to hold up under the heat. A bottomless test tube will do the trick...if you can cut off the bottom without it breaking. Then it would be reusable since it's glass.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glass . . . in an engine bay? I sure hope it doesn't break!

However, What you may be able to do is get a glass tube that is just a little smaller diameter than than you need. Then, grab some aluminum (or other metal) tubing that goes around it snugly. Cut a window along the legth of the metal, so that you have have an idea of your fluid level. Then, slip the metal tube around the glass, and hook it all up. But, good luck finding a glass tube that is "just" smaller than the metal one, a metal tube "just" larger than the glass one, whith both being "perfect" for the catch-can. I may just be plugging the thing - or, calling GREDDY and asking if they sell it.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I called Greddy, they don't sell the part seperately, but the guy suggested the hard plastic lines they use for aquariums, maybe I can find some at a pet store...

Thanks,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 06-28-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
Glass . . . in an engine bay? I sure hope it doesn't break!
Glass test tubes are made from pyrex. No worries about using in the catch can and in the engine bay.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, I meant breaking from something hitting it. Sure, there usually aren't rocks flying around in there, but if a fan belt or something lets loose, and it breaks, you'd end up with hot fluid all over the place. Are you using it as a catch can for oil? If so, you would have a REAL problem if you get that hot oil coating the headers!

Also, you may want to grab as many different tubes, of different materials, as you can find. Put them all in boiling water on the stove, as hot as you can get it. See what holds up the best, then use that. Heck, you'd probably be able to return the rest of them (assuming they don't deform, in which case you'll be REALLY glad you didn't use them in the first place!).

Quick Reply: replace view tube for Greddy catch can ?