Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which one first???
LT's & y pipe
90.91%
HPtuners & wideband
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

ok need a little advice......

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok need a little advice......

alright so this should be in 3 different sections so if a mod feels it could be better answered elsewhere, please go ahead and move it...

Ok i have all my stuff for h/c swap either in front of me or in a brown truck somewhere, now the question comes to this: Should I get Lt's & y pipe or hptuners & wideband? I will be running a TR224 112, and i have shorties right now with stock cats y pipe and edelbrock cat back. I have the money for one or the other right now and in a couple months would be able to buy the other. I feel it would be easier to do the headers @ the same time but i dont want the car to be horrible to drive w/o any sort of tuning. So basically if it drove like crap it would sit in the garage until i had more $$$ is what i fear, or i just have to swap headers out later... so any input to sway me one way or another let me know... just have fears about it running horrible thanks to a friend's experience with his mustang TIA!
Old 07-08-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Well unless you know ANYTHING about tuning, (I have ZERO clue when it comes to tuning an LS1) I would get the ORY and LTs and save up for a good tune.

OR

Get the H/C kit and get a mail order tune until you can afford LTs ORY and a good HP tuners dyno tune.

And dont use the M word around here
Old 07-08-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry about the m word, it slipped.... i know a little about tuning and from what i read in the tuning section all it takes is time.. and i have plenty of time here @ work... i would probably rather do the lt's and then tune it later myself but just am curious how drivable it will be.... 2 weeks till my parts are here so i have a little time to decide
Old 07-08-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

I think it will all depend on the lift of the cam and flow of the heads. If you do a heads cam swap and dont tune, im almost 75% sure its going to run like ****.

If I were you, I would do the h/c swap and just get a mail order tune for like 200 bucks i think they are so at least its driveable.

Then save up for headers and HP tuners and do the tune yourself.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

its the TR 224 on a 112 w/ OEM 243 heads. I really dont want to go mail order because it seems like a waste of $ when i could drive 30 mins and get a real dyno tune, oh and i appreciate your input, i just dont want to be spending $ on the same thing twice, if you understand what im saying
Old 07-08-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by superchannelkev
its the TR 224 on a 112 w/ OEM 243 heads. I really dont want to go mail order because it seems like a waste of $ when i could drive 30 mins and get a real dyno tune, oh and i appreciate your input, i just dont want to be spending $ on the same thing twice, if you understand what im saying

yeah i undestand what your saying.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Personally I wouldn't make either mod without a tune. The least troublesome mod would probably be the LT's but regardless, you are going to be real disapponted with either mod without a tune.

I know you want to get this stuff in/on now but I recommend you wait until you can afford the tune. Go slow, do it right.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok good.. maybe i'll give a couple shops around here a call and jst get Lt's and no hptuners, well maybe not till later
Old 07-08-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 007fl
Personally I wouldn't make either mod without a tune. The least troublesome mod would probably be the LT's but regardless, you are going to be real disapponted with either mod without a tune.

I know you want to get this stuff in/on now but I recommend you wait until you can afford the tune. Go slow, do it right.

sorry i dont get what you mean by either mod... hptuners would be the tune.. it would take longer to get right than going and paying someone to tune it but would still be a tune.... as i said before i have the h/c and all my other things i am doing which have been slowly collecting in my office. will my car really run that horrible that i wont be able to drive it a few hundred miles before i get it tuned or tune it myself? i'm not looking to finish up my install and hop on the dyno and see how much power i made, i dont think i would be disappointed, i am not expecting my car to run like a champ before tuning, i am just curious how drivable it will be for a month or so that's all
Old 07-08-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh and just to be clear i can afford one or the other right now, but the other would have to wait for a few months, 3 max.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Teching In

OK, I understood you wrong. I thought you were asking about doing the h/c OR doing the LT's. That's what I meant about either mod. But, back to my earlier post. I still think the h/c is going to be real disappointing without a tune. Adding the LT's would only make it worse. Get the tune.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

k, yea going back later and doing headers isn't bad at all, i would rather be able to drive my car and not let it sit while i get a little extra spending $ for headers.... I will probably get hptuners and go from there...
glad you understood what i ment, i was a little confused my your post but, no worries...
Old 07-08-2005, 03:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why dont u just wait 2-3 months, buy the headers now, and then when u have the money for a tune install everything at once. regardless even if u do headers later u r still going to need to retune it for all the extra air leaving the motor. atleast if u want the extra power benefits of the lt's. my vote is do neither till u can do it all. u have already been collecting things a little at a time just be patient for another couple months. its hard i know because im doing it, but it will save u in the long run.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, the only thing i have against that, and the ONLY reason is that the end of this month beginning of next month i have free time, end of august on until jan. i have a lot of things happening, with trips buisness etc. thats my only real reason not to, but i do agree it would be less of a hassle doing them at the same time, hmmm.. maybe i can get a cheap tune(locally) and the Lt's... anyways good point and yea its hard looking at all my nice new parts everyday when i come into work..
Old 07-08-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Why not give one of our sponsors a call about a mail order tune. I know you don't like the idea, but it's gonna suck doing heads now and headers later or vice versa. Either way, you gotta drop the stock manifolds. Just seems like you're gonna do the same install twice.

FWIW, I'm gonna get a mail order tune from TSP with my cam package. According to Jason at TSP, retunes are free for as long as I want (except for shipping fees of course).

If it was me, I'd do the H/C and headers/y and get a mail order tune. A full dyno tune is gonna run you about $500 PLUS retunes. Get that bad boy driveable with a mail order, then next summer pickup hptuners and get busy perfecting an already good tune.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

BTW, I don't think I'd ever want to run a H/C setup without a tune for 3 days let alone 3 months.

Also, since a dyno is 30 minutes away, spend $75 or so and get a few pulls on their wideband to see where your a/f is AFTER a mail order tune. Either send it back for a retune, or hang on to the results till you get HPtuners and do it yourself.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the longtubes. I would then install everything but the heads/cam now and wait to do the h/c when you can get it tuned. Even a little 224 won't run quite right untuned, more so with heads.

If you lived somewhere that had snow during the winter I might do it differently.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm not too worried about it running not perfect at first, i will talk with jason @ tsp and see how it goes with a mail order tune...yea no snow here,... well twice in my life...
Old 07-09-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea man, get the headers and let it breathe, then u can take more adv over the cam, someone on tech has to live near u with hp tuners or somthing, just post up in the diagnostics section and find out....brake light looks great btw...thanks again..to bad its on jackstands b/c of the 10 bolt
Old 07-09-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

glad the light is all good hope you get it back on the road soon.. yea mail order then wait to get hptuners or as you said HOSS, find someone locally to help out