Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gut cats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gut cats?

What is everyone's thoughts about gutting cats?

I was thinking of drilling a relatively medium size hole in the middle of the screen inside the cats.

Anyone done this before? Any tips or experience you'd like to share?
Old 07-10-2005, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to gut the cats on my car since the passanger side blew itself out. We unbolted the cats from the manifolds and y-pipe, and i think the drivers side we had to cut off since its welded onto the y-pipe. We just took a hammer and screwdriver to it and cleaned them totally out. It definately made my exhaust louder especially at idle with LM catback.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sube
I had to gut the cats on my car since the passanger side blew itself out. We unbolted the cats from the manifolds and y-pipe, and i think the drivers side we had to cut off since its welded onto the y-pipe. We just took a hammer and screwdriver to it and cleaned them totally out. It definately made my exhaust louder especially at idle with LM catback.
How do you think it'd affect the sound if I drilled a hole the size of a quarter in it? Would I fail a sniffer test if that's part of my emissions...?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if your gunna go through the trouble of taking the cats off you should gutt them completely.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

It won't pass the sniffer if you drill it out.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
How do you think it'd affect the sound if I drilled a hole the size of a quarter in it? Would I fail a sniffer test if that's part of my emissions...?
Don't bother just drilling a hole through them, what'll happen is they'll heat up and fall apart and all that crap will have to blow out through your exhaust system. Just hog the whole thing out if you're gonna do it.

No, you most likely won't pass the sniffer but if they have OBD-II testing (just plug into the computer) in your area there is no sniffer so you're set.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldn't do it if you plan headers and reuseing them afterwords....i put midlength headers on my LT1 and gutted the cats with a magnaflow catback and even though its not raspy it backfires like i dont know what...its an A4 with 3.73 gears so i run about 2500 rpms(give or take some) at 60 MPH when i let off the gas it backfires a lil which sounds decent....but when i rev it my god it backfires LOUD like 5 or 6 times...
Old 07-13-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I say just go to a "friendly" muffler shop and have them replace them with straight pipe.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

had the same problem when I got my headers installed...Some times you have to get a computer tune after a full exaust mod like that because it messes with your o2 sensors and your comp is not use to that much backpressure being relieved