Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible to rebuild a tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible to rebuild a tensioner?

my A/C belt tensioner is making noise, is it possible to pull the pulley and greese it and reinstall or must i purchase a new GM unit?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Yes. I took both ac pulleys and my idler and tensioner off. You need a very tiny flathead screwdriver to get the seal off. Be very careful doing this. Just work one edge at a time. Just take the seal on one side only or you'll have the ball bearings fall out, not fun getting them back in. Then just spray some brake cleaner with a rag and clean. Then get some bearings grease, they sell it at all auto supply stores. Push the grease in and spin the pulley on a finger. If you hear grinding then add more grease. Once there spinning smooth very carefully reinstall the seal and your done. Cost a few bucks for the grease and thats it. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Yes. I took both ac pulleys and my idler and tensioner off. You need a very tiny flathead screwdriver to get the seal off. Be very careful doing this. Just work one edge at a time. Just take the seal on one side only or you'll have the ball bearings fall out, not fun getting them back in. Then just spray some brake cleaner with a rag and clean. Then get some bearings grease, they sell it at all auto supply stores. Push the grease in and spin the pulley on a finger. If you hear grinding then add more grease. Once there spinning smooth very carefully reinstall the seal and your done. Cost a few bucks for the grease and thats it. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

well i took off the tensioner and i cannot find what your talking about

the front side has a big 15mm bolt that you use to losen the tensioner, the other side doesn't seem to have anywhere that would jump out at me as a place where i could pry two pieces apart. we tried to remove the bolt holding the pulley on but it aparently isn't reverse threaded.

can you provide more details? thanks!
Old 07-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Launching!

The bolt WILL come out. I had to leave the pulley on the car in order to get enough leverage to get the bolt to come loose. After it comes loose you will see 2 discs (one on each side) that you can pry off to replace with bearing grease.