Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 problem.....help with starter wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 problem.....help with starter wiring harness

I posted this in the Vette forum too.........but figured some of you guys that frequent in here might have some hands on....

I am pretty sure I have toasted my computer, but wanted to get some input.

What I have symptom wise with the key off;
  • cooling fans on high speed
  • idiot lights in cluster are on and half illuminated
  • interior light is on
  • injectors pulse
  • coils fire

When you cut the key on, the fans cut off and the 'idiot' lights in the cluster are fully illuminated, and the interior lights cut off. When you enter the diagnostic mode, there is no communication with any modules. I tried clearing the codes but it wouldnt even allow me to access that function.

Here is what happened;

Me and a buddy just installed an iron block 422 into my C5. Everything went smooth until it came time to crank it up, when it wouldnt fire. The only thing we can see as an issue are the wires in the starter harness. There was enough down time to remember exactly how the wires were run. We hooked up the heavy gauge ground to the passenger side, but hooked all the other wires in the starter harness to the hot on the starter (minus the purple of course which is the 'start' wire). Then there are 2 grounds on the driver head, and a ground wire and strap on the driver's side of the block.

In that starter harness, was one of the smaller gauge wires supposed to be a ground? I think we might have F'd ourselves in the A on that one if so.......but it would explain the loss of communication for sure.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Cliffs notes for those who dont want to read all that:

When the key is off, there are half-illuminated idiot lights on in the cluster, the cooling fan is on high speed, and the interior light is on. When you cut the key on, all goes to normal.........but no start. Also when checking diagnostics through the cluster, there is no communication with any modules.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Bueller....
Old 07-18-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wish I could help but don't know the wiring on a vette.