Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Speed true dual update (with clearance pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Texas Speed true dual update (with clearance pics)

Original post w/ detailed review: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/335388-detailed-review-pacesetter-long-tubes-texas-speed-true-duals.html

Texas Speed 3" dumped true duals w/ x-pipe and 12" Moroso Spiral Flows
Turndowns cut off, black grill paint, 3/4" F drop and 1/2" R drop (Koni SAs, !rear isolator)

1. Interior Sound
Originally I hung the passenger's side a little high, so I went back and lowered that to get it off the floorpan and to level the tips of the exhaust out. This meant drilling a new hole, and leaving an open hole. That hole has been open for a while. This past weekend I took some sound deadening (Peel and Seal from Lowe's) and covered the open hole up. Heavier part throttle acceleration is still loud in the car, but any time the RPMs level out and the car is cruising, or under light throttle, its easy to carry on a conversation and interior noise is down also.

2. Exterior Sound
I cut the turndowns off, so it dumps straight out the back. Turndowns vs. no turndowns isn't too different. Little less resonance and rattling in the interior, little more volume without the turndowns. I drove a friend's car (little quiet Toyota) and my buddy drove my car, and I got to hear it from outside as he made his way around town, and got on it here and there. Sounds VERY nice outside the vehicle, much better than some of the true dual setups with bullets that I've heard (I prefer a more tuned sound rather than a chaotic sound like the bullets have).

I get compliments left and right, and that never happened before. Seems like I cant take the car out without someone saying something. My buddy drove the car for about 10 minutes and had two people comment on how good the car sounded, and he had a ricer rev at him also, to which he promptly gave it a part throttle blip, let the exhaust scream a little, and got a little sideways at 30 MPH (the riced out Accord promptly hit the brakes and fell in behind him).

I've even been driving next to a cop in town traffic, when the car is the loudest due to the 4000 stall, and also had a cop behind me, and neither of them even made hint of pulling me over due to the noise.

3. Clearance
I spent over five hours working with this exhaust to get it just right. WD40 on the slip fit connections and a buddy come in VERY handy here. I "clearanced" the floor boards on the driver's side to prevent banging due to my engine shaking from the cam (need to get a poly engine mount soon, these 115k stockers are worn out) as well as the rear seat bottoms. Flipped the fuel lines. Adjusted the exhaust with a jack under the rear to load it and give me extra clearance around the torque arm. This gave me room to tuck it up pretty good. The car is lowered 3/4" in the front with Koni SA shocks on the lower perch, and lowered 1/2" in the rear by removing the rear spring isolator and replacing with 5/8" heater hose. Pics tell the tale, the top of the "t" in Mist is around or a little over 3.5". Lowest point is the angle on the x-pipe at right around there, driver's side pipe between the header and the x is around 3.75", and the mufflers are close to 4" in clearance. When I was lowered with the Pro Kit my SFCs were the lowest point and I only had 3.5" of clearance then also, so I'm used to driving the car in relation to the amount of ground clearance I have.

Mufflers (silver is heat tape from before I flipped the fuel lines and the muffler was touching):

X-Pipe:

Driver's Side:

TDs from the rear (have to look close, two small lumps, one to each side of the rear diff):

Now that I've really got the whole setup right, I'd had a very hard time every going back to a y-pipe setup. From the side, with it painted black, you can't even tell its there really. It tucks well enough that you can BARELY see it below the rear axle when behind the car. Very happy with this setup now, and I haven't scraped it once, even on some monster speed bumps (as long as I use the curb to get a little extra clearance, or take it easy and go at angles if I dont have a curb to use). Take your time, get this setup right, and I dont see why anyone would be unhappy with it.

Buddy of mine got an at-idle sound clip as well as a clip where I made a dyno pull, so I'll try to get them from him and see if they're even worth posting. I'll edit this post with the clips if they are. Stay tuned...

Last edited by josh99ta; 07-27-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

niiiice, love the sierra mist clearance test, pepsi is so much better then coke, gatta get a sound clip up tho, very nice either way
Old 07-27-2005, 02:43 PM

Just got word back from my buddy, no luck on the sound clip. I dont know anybody with a digicam decent enough to get any real audio. Still trying to work something out.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

you keep your pepsi up north......... us southerners drink coke only
Old 10-20-2005, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Any codes thrown?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:21 AM

Rear O2s were set to not report a code, and that is the only code that would have been thrown (EGR and AIR codes were removed as well). We used HPTuners to avoid getting any lights.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Original post w/ detailed review:
I'm so happy you liked the exhaust man! Good thing you didn't sissy out on it! o yea, and thanks for the XR1's!~!

Quick Reply: Texas Speed true dual update (with clearance pics)