Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

building a on road y-pipe /cats/ LTs need advice on o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default building an on road y-pipe /cats/LTs want a direct bolt on

02 sims vs: software edit (removing rear o2 sensors) vs rear o2 bungs and having rear o2 sensors.

1. heard using o2 simulaters is not a good idea because they fake out the PCM so if theres an air to fuel related problem like air mass sensor or throttle position sensor or other related sensors the sims or coving these problems up
meaning there mite be a problem that I would like to know about.
plus they wear out real quickly.

2.removing the rear o2 sensors with a software edit I'm thinking it's similar to the above but really have no idea.

3. prefferred choice would be to use rear o2 bungs and try to place the bungs in as close to the same mearsurment from rear of the cat brick.

any advice on this is apreciated
Old 08-19-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default building a on road y-pipe /cats/ LTs need advice on o2 sensors

02 sims vs: software edit (removing rear o2 sensors) vs rear o2 bungs and having rear o2 sensors.

1. heard using o2 simulaters is not a good idea because they fake out the PCM so if theres an air to fuel related problem like air mass sensor or throttle position sensor or other related sensors the sims or coving these problems up
meaning there mite be a problem that I would like to know about.
plus they wear out real quickly.

2.removing the rear o2 sensors with a software edit I'm thinking it's similar to the above but really have no idea.

3. prefferred choice would be to use rear o2 bungs and try to place the bungs in as close to the same mearsurment from rear of the cat brick.

any advice on this is appreciated
Old 08-19-2005, 12:56 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either way is fine. Your best bet is to get the code deleted, but if you dont have ls1edit or hptuners then just get some sims. I have had sims on my car for 1/2 a year now and not had any problems with them.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fronts are the only ones you need to worry about...the post cat O2's are only there to ensure the cats are doing their job. Best route would be to delete them with tunning software...but sims will work fine.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Rear O2's only monitor cat performance as far as I know. Using sims is fine...or you can get some software and delete the codes out. Until you spend some time to learn more about the PCM and how it works, I'd suggest getting the sims. The software would be overkill if that's all you wanted to do. Now, if you wanted to tune your car and are willing to invest the time/money in the software (and a wideband O2), then go for it.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

He hit the nail on the head