Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "ticking noise" question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Ticking noise" is it lifters or a vacuum leak?? Need advise

Seems to be coming out from the center of the intake manifold.....

The closer you put your ear to the manifold, the more is sounds like the classic "sewing machine" noise.

... the lifters wouldn't be making this noise, would they? (coming out from the center of the intake that is)

Performance isn't effected, no SES lights.

What else could it be? Vacuum leak?

Noise started yesterday... noticed it when I was pulling into the garage.

I just want to know what could possibly cause this issue before I go on a wild goose chase and start tearing **** apart.

BTW... I did search on the subject before posting, but I didn't really see anything that talked about a noise coming from within the intake manifold. There could be another post out there, but I didn't see it.

Last edited by Grave; 08-27-2005 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Re-worded so that it makes more sense (to me anyway)
Old 08-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Launching!

ive heard putting ur hand near the manifold, if u can feel air movement possible gasket leak. i just took off my air tube for plug install and put it back on and noticed my ticking noise much louder. looked at it and there was black suot around it like it had blown out. im putting a new gasket on it today but i think that will only quiet my tick as it was there befor. :-( mine is mostly at start up untill the temperature is up all of the way. also u could use a screwdriver as a mechanic stethascope to hear certain areas, valve covers and stuff.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Launching!

How do you use a screwdriver as a thesescope? I suppose I could just go to the parts store on payday and buy one...

After I posted this thread, I went back into the garage and fired the car up. I put my ear as close to each cylinder head as possible, then moved my ear across the intake manifold....

... and unless I'm just hearing things wrong, it definately sounds like the ticking noise is coming from the center of the intake manifold. At least that's where its seems loudest.

I'm not popping any SES codes (yet) for any kind of vacuum leaks.

So far, driveability doesn't seem to be affected... no noticable loss of performance, yet.

If this makes any more sense (hopefully doesn't confuse more)..... but when I put my ear down to the manifold, the closer I got my face to the manifold, the more the "ticking" noise sounded like the classic "sewing machine" noise. But maybe I'm trying to concentrate on the noise too hard... I dunno. Just trying to be as descriptive as possible, as I know diagnosing a car problem is hard to do over the net.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Anybody else want to take a stab at this?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Well, I bought a thesescope and of course the noise isn't there anymore! WTF!? But I guess that *is* a good thing.

Anyway, I prodded around a bit over the headers, heads, intake manifold and injectors....

... all sounds good. No ticking noise coming from the heads, that's for sure! *whew*

But... the front injector on the passenger side sounds a little different than the rest of the injectors. More of a "hollow" sound, and a little deeper in tone than the rest of the injectors.

Would one of my injectors may be going bad? What are some tell tale signs?

Again, performance doesn't seem to be affected what so ever.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:17 AM
Launching!

injector's going bad would cause a miss-fire after so long. i don't know about the earlyer stages of them going bad. what i ment by the screw-driver thing was that u put ur ear up to the end of the handle and put the other end on the vavle cover and move it around to hear where the noise is coming from. i can't really help u much besides that. maybe someone else can.