Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnecor Wires have High Ohms?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Magnecor Wires have High Ohms?

I'm not trying to slam Magnecor or anything, but I just bought a set of KV85 race wires (part no 85259) and ran my digital ohm meter on them and here's what I got:

(all in kilo ohms)
1.260, 1.278, 1.262, 1.276, 1.271, 1.251, 1.323, 1.259

Looks like they are all fairly consistent, but the resistence seems kind of high. Also, it's a fact that resistence increases as the conductor is heated so the "hot" resistence could be around 2.4k ohms The stock wires I tested were all around .330 k ohms. Should this make any difference? The manufacturer's web-site has information on it that says their wires out performs lower resistence wires, but how? Lots of folks prefer these wires in a racing environment, but I'm a bit confused as to why.

Will the ignition adapt to the increased resistence from the wires? It has to achieve enough voltage to make the jump accross the spark plug gap or there's no spark. Will the duration of the spark increase or is it a mute point given the small resistence of the wires as compared to the initially infinite resistence of the spark plugs?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their website explains it a lot better than I can....you just have to read the whole thing. Something about how the sprak energy doesn't travel through the core of the wire...it travels around the core of the wire. The ohm meter measures the core's resistance...but since the sprk energy doesn't travel through the core, the resistance doesn't matter.

I tried a set on my wifes car...a 1991 Nissan Stanza that kept losing plug wires due to excessive exhaust manifold heat. They were like $30 and they have outlasted the other wires I have tried. I'm happy with them.

Magnecor sells the RFI reduction you get with their wires...blah blah...they seem to be a good wire for the $$.

Quick Reply: Magnecor Wires have High Ohms?