Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom dual exhaust setups, couple of questions >>

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom dual exhaust setups, couple of questions >>

my exhaust shop has been pretty good at doing custom jobs for me in the past, but this is the first time I've taking an F-Body to them... i'm going to go for an H-Pipe setup since sound is important to me, I can't stand the rasp of the X or the Y. I'll be going with 2 sweet thunders (1 in each I-Pipe).

so here are my questions..

- how difficult is this to do on our cars?

- is the over-the-axle method going to pose a difficult task?

i'm thinking i want to go straight out after the axle instead of extra bends, and i'm keeping the cats and stock manifolds for now, so...
- will 2 sweet thunders be way too loud still?

thanks guys,
Ron
Old 09-16-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

My friend and I fabbed up my x-pipe setup ourselves. We did it with no lift, jack stands only, laying on our backs. Granted it wasn't a work of art, it worked out very well.

We decided to go over both sides of the axles, instead of the tried and true same side setup. After a few attempts we got everything in tight and no banging.

I've never heard of an x-pipe being rapsy. If you're keeping stock manifolds and cats I doubt there will be any rasp. But if you're worried about it, use full size mufflers instead of bullets. I have dual Borla Pro XS's and they sounds AMAZING! Good luck

Luke
Old 09-17-2005, 02:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A mandrel bent over the axle setup is going to be quite a task, since basically no muffler shops can do mandrel bends. I've asked locally about using prebent tubing and been told flat out that they would not do it. They'd only do it if they could bend the pipe to fit themselves.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
A mandrel bent over the axle setup is going to be quite a task, since basically no muffler shops can do mandrel bends. I've asked locally about using prebent tubing and been told flat out that they would not do it. They'd only do it if they could bend the pipe to fit themselves.
anyone know of a place online to buy just the over the axle pipe?
Old 09-17-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought several straight pipes and several mandrel bent U bends. Cut and welded it together. Worked great. Purchased from summitracing.com

Luke
Old 09-18-2005, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
anyone know of a place online to buy just the over the axle pipe?
I haven't tried this, but you could try a Flowmaster Universal Tail pipe(summit or jegs). I'm sure you would have to tweak and incorporate more prebent pipe. But, it might get you a little closer.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

I can't find a shop that will do true duals on an F-body. Everyplace I take my car to they say that it is IMPOSSIBLE. Bullshit! I know it is a tight fit and even show them some pics of some other members' dual setup with Sweet Thunders and they say that it is too much work. Lazy asses.