Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/throttle body and IAC

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/throttle body and IAC

So after asking this question, I have come to belive that my IAC may be dirty. I replaced my Lid and Filter and cleaned up the throttle body with a rag (oil residue) and I believe that my idle and surging problem is from a dirty IAC. How do clean this? Do I use plain old Gunk carb cleaner with the engine off or on? Do I need a special cleaaner other than a degreaser? IPA Alcohol? Should I remove the IAC and clean it and then clean out the passage in the throttle body with something? Please comment.

Thanks
Nick F
Old 09-21-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nick f
So after asking this question, I have come to belive that my IAC may be dirty. I replaced my Lid and Filter and cleaned up the throttle body with a rag (oil residue) and I believe that my idle and surging problem is from a dirty IAC. How do clean this? Do I use plain old Gunk carb cleaner with the engine off or on? Do I need a special cleaaner other than a degreaser? IPA Alcohol? Should I remove the IAC and clean it and then clean out the passage in the throttle body with something? Please comment.

Thanks
Nick F
Should I remove the IAC and clean it and then clean out the passage in the throttle body with something? Please comment.
yeap, That is what I do. You can use brake cleaner, carb cleaner, mag wheel cleaner etc...

Just be careful to remove the O ring carefully and not to spray it with abrasive stuff. I used Q-tips to get inside.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Teching In

So i went a bought some throttle body cleaner form Gunk, says its safe of IAC and what not. Took out the IAC, didn't look that bad. Sprayed the IAC, took out the o-ring and sprayed the the hole where the IAC was. Stuck a rag in there and wiped all the oil out of there. Re-installed and now it's slightly better, but not back to normal. I still have the rough, miss at idle, and sometimes now I get the surging loss of power engaging first gear. Sometimes I will here a pop from the exhaust during the engagment of first gear.

This morning, also did a IAC reset, did nothing. Please Help

Thanks
Nick F.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Is your throttle body ported? I'm having an idle issue ever since mine has been ported and when I did a search it seems like I'm not the only one . I had to open the throttle blade to keep the gas pedal from sticking but now there is too much air coming through and my tps voltage is high. The computer keeps trying to bring the idle down but there is just too much air flowing past the blade for it to stay down so it goes back and forth (surging).
Old 09-22-2005, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

on my old GTP, i couldnt keep an IAC in it. Turns out that the wiring itself was bad. The copper was actually broken inside the plastic cover. Get a voltmeter and probe it.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:14 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by rednecks70
Is your throttle body ported? I'm having an idle issue ever since mine has been ported and when I did a search it seems like I'm not the only one . I had to open the throttle blade to keep the gas pedal from sticking but now there is too much air coming through and my tps voltage is high. The computer keeps trying to bring the idle down but there is just too much air flowing past the blade for it to stay down so it goes back and forth (surging).
Maybe the air inlet for the IAC is too small. When I epoxied/ported mine I started out one size then incrementally drilled it out until the idle fell in line. That's been several years ago, really wasn't much info out then so I just experimented on the opening. Not really sure what size I ended up with but believe it was close to 3/8 ".
Old 09-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Thanks all, it was a combination of some things, I believe. A dirty IAC which I cleaned with Throttle body cleaner. A damaged pulg wire on #8 and a cracked plug on #4.

Thanks
Nick F.