Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01' detonation issue, Been told it's the MAF...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 01' detonation issue, Been told it's the MAF...

I posted this in the wrong forum so I figure this is a better place. Thanks.

I changed the stock meter for a Grantelli meter and took the car to the dyno. I heard pinging upwards of 4500rpms. Alot of the LS1 guys said it's probably the meter that's causing the problem. What meter can I switch to? Or since it's N/A does the stock meter flow enough that upgrading it won't make a difference in power? The weird thing is that the a/f is 13:1 all the way to redline. I know in the Ford camp that that is a pretty good ratio. Thanks in advance. -Mark

CONVERTED- Thanks for your reply in the other thread. I delete my thread and put it here.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem comes in with the calibration of that versus the calibration of the VE table in the PCM...the VE table is used as a reference table for the airflow calculations in the PCM when the MAF is being used (the MAF is what is being listened to, though). If the VE table and the MAF don't agree (or just don't get along very well), it will show up as some very shitty performance (as you have seen). The MAF table that needs to be used with the Granatelli piece is for the most part unknown...I could come up with one with the tools that are available today, but it would have to be done on YOUR car, and I'd have to use a wideband O2 sensor as a truth source.

If you don't want the problems, just go back to the stock MAF. You won't lose much, if any power going back to stock in this case. If you can't tune for it, it isn't worth it.