Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP Pulley culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ASP Pulley culprit?

My car's battery will be dead in two weeks with a full charge. There is no draw (from three different shops) Have new battery and alternator (tests good) maybe 2 months old. Could my underdrive pulley be causing this, I idle quite a bit and run the a/c often(florida heat) I'm just trying to see what could be causing my battery issues. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what battery do you have? our snap on guy told us the other day that gel filled batteries need special charging attention?!?!?
Old 09-25-2005, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the ASP pulley requires 900rpm to make a 13v charge. Easy enough for cammed A4 cars like me, but it will make your lights dim if the idle drops lower than ~700.

It's possible it's not charging your battery enough - but I know lots of ASP pulley'd M6 cars that don't have charging issues. Extended idling can cause the system not to charge, there is a higher amp load with the A/C on as well.

Might try swapping the stocker back on, a test is worth a thousand speculations...

Just some thoughts.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 09-25-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

850rpms w/o ac and 900-950 (can't remember) w/ac on. Just noticed something today when I cranked it. It started but then droped straight off. It was like it just never hit the idle. It cranked fine and sounded fine but when it came down to about 900rpms it just kept going till it cut off. Just as smooth as it came on. I tried cranking it again and it cranked no problem and idled no problem, what the crap was that. Just a fluke. I also noticed the check engine light was on, which had been on, but usually after the battery dies it goes off and takes a week or so to come back on. The code is because my headers and the sensors don't heat up fast enough. I guess I need to go get this one scanned to see if it's the same code. These cars are a pain in the butt. Sometimes I feel they aren't worth the trouble, then sometimes I think about slapping myself for thinking that.