Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slap me, pinch me

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Slap me, pinch me

Man, I usually don't get too excited about much of anything and I'm almost never surprised; but this morning I'm afraid I've gone off the deep end (well deep end for me anyway ).

I purchased a Magnaflow muffler last week (part number 14267) off of ebay as my next upgrade. My car is a 2000 SS with about 39K. I purchased it mainly becuase I liked the sound of the Magnaflow over stock - not becuase I expected any real performance gains from just the muffler.

I dyno'ed the car stock when I first got her and have mainly added appearance mods since. The only performance mods have been a lid, K&N, and the free trimming of the underside of the air box mod. Honestly, I never noticed any seat-of-the-pants difference with any of the above performance upgrades. In fact, the only difference in performance I've noticed, since she was dyno'ed, was a change in the clutch because the original one gave up the ghost. I guess it had always slipped from day one because once the new one was in, I was much quicker out of the hole and could get rubber much easier than ever before.

All of that to say this: After having the Magnaflow muffler installed this morning I think I can feel a definite difference in performance. As the subject suggests, someone please wake me from this dream - surely there are not enough new ponies for me to feel the difference, right? Remember, I am the ultimate skeptic, but I'm telling you I feel a difference.

I am goinig to take the G-Tech out of the box later today and see what it says, but sadly I never got a HP baseline to compare it with using the G-Tech because I had the dyno results already. I'll post more after I do that, but I just wanted to say how elated I am at the seemingly cheap and easy boost in seat of the pants enjoyment I have stumbled upon in my quest for serious performance sound.

I guess all that really matters is that I'm happy with it and that I perceive there to be some gain as I don't ever race and certainly don't do the drag strip thing.

Cheers to the SS
Old 09-27-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

congrats on your new found power, i've thought about going with magnaflows.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Magnaflows always have been a good power-making muffler. Congratulations!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I yanked the Magnaflow system off my car at the track one night and ran no faster without it. I've seen another post with a guy making 511 rwhp with a Magnaflow system and 519 without. So even at his level, it is only costing 8rwhp.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Launching!

maybe that newfound power is the deception your ears are giving you....
Old 09-27-2005, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

My brother's ws6 never got a baseline dyno but with an slp lid, k&n filter, and magnaflow catback he made 328 rwhp and 343 rwtq