Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about catback install

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about catback install

Hey i've got a few questions...

I just got a hooker catback in the mail for my 98 SS. Is any welding needed for installation?

How much would a shop usually charge for the install?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

the kit should come with all the clamps you need. no welding needed. put the rear axe on jackstands and put the catback on yourself. if will take you under two hours.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

thank ya sir
Old 10-05-2005, 03:20 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And if your sceptical about it take it to a shop its like 50 bucks for install.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

I put my Hooker on a couple days ago. I did it on Rhino Ramps, but jackstands would work too. It's very easy, just slide the downpipe onto the y-pipe and secure loosely using the band clamp that's already there. Next slide the section of pipe that goes over the axle into the downpipe and secure it to the hanger with the supplied bracket and one bolt and nut that Hooker supplies. For installing the Aerochamber muffler it helps to have a buddy hold it up while you install the 3 bolts and nuts, and gasket, from the over axle pipe into the muffler. Then install the driver's side tailpipe and clamp and slide the tailpipe hanger rod into the rubber hanger donut. Finally the passenger tailpipe goes into the muffler as well. Then just tighten everything up starting at the band clamp y-pipe connection and work your way forward to the downpipe over-axle clamp, the 3 nuts and bolts holding the over-axle pipe to the muffler, and then the two tail pipe clamps. Install your tips with an allen wrench and 7/16" open end wrench.

I didn't weld it, just used the clamps. I was going to weld it but it seems perfect as is.

Good luck!! Piece-of-cake!!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Predator
I put my Hooker on a couple days ago. I did it on Rhino Ramps, but jackstands would work too. It's very easy, just slide the downpipe onto the y-pipe and secure loosely using the band clamp that's already there. Next slide the section of pipe that goes over the axle into the downpipe and secure it to the hanger with the supplied bracket and one bolt and nut that Hooker supplies. For installing the Aerochamber muffler it helps to have a buddy hold it up while you install the 3 bolts and nuts, and gasket, from the over axle pipe into the muffler. Then install the driver's side tailpipe and clamp and slide the tailpipe hanger rod into the rubber hanger donut. Finally the passenger tailpipe goes into the muffler as well. Then just tighten everything up starting at the band clamp y-pipe connection and work your way forward to the downpipe over-axle clamp, the 3 nuts and bolts holding the over-axle pipe to the muffler, and then the two tail pipe clamps. Install your tips with an allen wrench and 7/16" open end wrench.

I didn't weld it, just used the clamps. I was going to weld it but it seems perfect as is.

Good luck!! Piece-of-cake!!
awesome! thanks for the tips! How easy was removing the stock exhaust? how exactly did you do it?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

bump, i need to know asap
Old 10-05-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JohnnySuperSport
awesome! thanks for the tips! How easy was removing the stock exhaust? how exactly did you do it?
You're welcome. I removed a Loudmouth and replaced it with the Hooker, but I removed the stock exhaust, to install the Loudmouth, pretty much the same way. Just spray the band clamp bolt, holding the y-pipe to the exhaust, with some Liquid Wrench, unhook the left and right tailpipes from the hangers, then cut the exhaust in front of the axle using a Sawzall (ideally), then yank out the tailpipes and muffler. Next, get under the car and pull the down pipe off the y-pipe. One thing that helped was, before cutting the exhaust, was twisting the entire exhaust to and fro to loosen it up from the y-pipe. It will come off the y-pipe a lot easier when you get under the car to yank it out.

If you want to salvage the stock exhaust, you're in for a little more aggravation. I've never done it, but I think you'll have to drop the panhard rod and try to disconnect the exhaust at the joints, or maybe even drop the axle, not sure. If you just cut it out it's an easy job.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Predator
You're welcome. I removed a Loudmouth and replaced it with the Hooker, but I removed the stock exhaust, to install the Loudmouth, pretty much the same way. Just spray the band clamp bolt, holding the y-pipe to the exhaust, with some Liquid Wrench, unhook the left and right tailpipes from the hangers, then cut the exhaust in front of the axle using a Sawzall (ideally), then yank out the tailpipes and muffler. Next, get under the car and pull the down pipe off the y-pipe. One thing that helped was, before cutting the exhaust, was twisting the entire exhaust to and fro to loosen it up from the y-pipe. It will come off the y-pipe a lot easier when you get under the car to yank it out.

If you want to salvage the stock exhaust, you're in for a little more aggravation. I've never done it, but I think you'll have to drop the panhard rod and try to disconnect the exhaust at the joints, or maybe even drop the axle, not sure. If you just cut it out it's an easy job.
I'm not looking to salvage the stock exhaust, however I don't think I have a method for cutting...
Old 10-05-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

You could probably use a hack saw, but it's a little tight under there. Another option might be a an air powered cut-off tool. Also a Dremmel tool might work with the little cutoff wheels although it would probably be tedious, and you might go through a bunch of cutoff wheels.

With the money you'll save doing it yourself, why not head down to Sears and get a reciprocating saw (same as Sawzall). I think I paid $89.00 for mine and it's awesome, even comes with a case. Or maybe borrow one from a friend.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:12 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your going to wanta sawzall or your going to get tired quick cutting them ***** with your hack saw.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using a hack saw is a ROYAL PITA, I did the stock exhaust removal on a 3rd gen that way, my god were my arms tired (almost couldn't lift the new cat back up to install ) get a sawz all/reciprocating saw, your arms will thank you for it
Old 10-06-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you dont want to buy a sawzall, go to homedepot and rent one, or find a friend that has one. Just cut somewhere by the bend before the axle and it will come right off. Getting the car high enough is some times the biggest PITA of getting new exhaust back on, depending on where they decide to cut it into two pieces.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Just take it to dang shop!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do yourself a favor and put the over axle pipe on the muffler and the driver side tailpipe. Its easier to get to all the bolts with it off the car. Go ahead and hang the muffler with the over axle pipe bolted to it by the driver side hanger on the driver side tailpipe. You can move the I pipe and muffler around to connect them together.