Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STOCK MAF question!!!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb STOCK MAF question!!!!!?

Thinking about doing something to my stock MAF.

The stock MAF has that metal honeycomb screen on the inside of it that restricts airflow right? If I was to say, cut that out of my stock MAF and run my car like that, would it have any negative effects on my engine? Would I get some kind of code?

The 85mm slp MAF only gets 95cfm more than the stock 75mm MAF. So if I cut that metal screen out it would flow just as much as the 85mm MAF, right? Like I said, let me know if this is wrong to do. I just don't see it hurting anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

I have the screened removed in mine. I get no code what so ever. But I believe that it also depends on if you have an auto or m6. I believe it does something to the autos.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

IMO, dont mess with the stock MAF. It is not really a restriction. Any gains seen by modding the stock MAF or by switching to an aftermarket unit are probably due to leaning out mixture.

Some aftermarket units go one step further and add timing also. When you go to do a real tune on the car, any unit but stock may be trouble.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

did you notice any gains...probably insignificant, huh?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by griff71177
did you notice any gains...probably insignificant, huh?
It was recommended by my tuner. He was logging and asked if I had removed the screen. I said no. So we pulled over and took it out.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:10 PM

What's the GM Part no# for a MAF for a 99' Z28?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

I took mine out and I have an a4 no problems,did not notice any gains with the butt dyno.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 85transamtpi
IMO, dont mess with the stock MAF. It is not really a restriction. Any gains seen by modding the stock MAF or by switching to an aftermarket unit are probably due to leaning out mixture.

Some aftermarket units go one step further and add timing also. When you go to do a real tune on the car, any unit but stock may be trouble.
MAF's don't add or subtract timing. MAF's report mass flow.

This is long and gets very in depth, but should answer all the questions of why you don't want to molest your stock MAF:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/394925-how-maf-really-works.html
Old 10-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Teching In

I took the screen out and ported and polished the stock mass air flow sensor on my 99 z-28. I have had no negative effects and have had a noticable gain.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:14 PM

All this is cool and all, but DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PART NUMBER IS, FOR A MAF FOR A 99' Z28?

*I know somebody here knows this answer and I'm not leaving here until someone becomes the "good guy" and buys some damn girl scout cookies ! Just give me what I want and I'll go away!
Old 10-29-2005, 04:18 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

If you ever have the car tuned, just have the MAF tuned out. I don't even run mine anymore.

Originally Posted by sawedoff
All this is cool and all, but DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PART NUMBER IS, FOR A MAF FOR A 99' Z28?
Look it up on gmpartsdirect.com
Old 10-29-2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
If you ever have the car tuned, just have the MAF tuned out. I don't even run mine anymore.

Look it up on gmpartsdirect.com

I really wasn't on the topic of this post. I just thought that I'd mosey on in and hijack the thread for my own question to be answered.

Thanks I'll try an online source, but I insist on solely not using board sponsors. You can't give everybody what they want. They get spoiled.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:34 AM
Staging Lane

Well I removed the screen and no problems. Seems like it flows a little better. Thanks for the tips...

Griff
Old 10-31-2005, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by griff71177
Well I removed the screen and no problems. Seems like it flows a little better. Thanks for the tips...

Griff
Personally I say PUT IT BACK.

The screen is there for a reason, it does not inhibit flow, well at least no more than the front of the car does and the air filter. So in many ways why not remove those too.

The screen is a last defense against debris. I removed my filter 2 nights back. This is a STOCK filter and STOCK lid so the fit is as good as it gets. I was amazed at how much dirt and debris was trapped under the filter. But was more suprised at the debris that was on the front of the MAF screen, there where reasonale sized items such as small twigs. Due to the shape and size they must have forced they're way around the edge of the air filter. If you have an after market lid/filter and any sort of ram air setup this will be far worse.

Not only could this debris damage the MAF but you do not want such items entering the engine.

Remove the screen at your own risk, and any gains you are seeing are more than likely imaginary.

Ask yourself this, an air filter inhibits air flow more greatly than the MAF screen. Would you then take the air filter out and just run the MAF screen?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Personally I say PUT IT BACK.

The screen is there for a reason...
I agree with you there

The screen is a last defense against debris.
Not really. The screen is there to help create a laminar airflow across the elements in the MAF. If you are getting debris on your MAF screen, something is wrong with you air filter assembly.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Not really. The screen is there to help create a laminar airflow across the elements in the MAF. If you are getting debris on your MAF screen, something is wrong with you air filter assembly.
I agree, it does more than I stated. But it is also a last line of defense.

As for filter assemble, no it's completly stock, there car has no mods on it at all. And the fitment is fine, well as good as can be. The clips seem strong and clamp the lid down well, there are no apparent gaps, the filter is in fine condition and a ver snug fit, which seals along the outter edges. But I'm well a where that filters particulary panel ones can allow debis round the side of them, At 150mph at WOT in 3rd (about 5000rpm with an auto) the amount of air pressure on the underside of the filter is probably quite impressive, this compared with the 'sucking' of the engine it is quite feasable for some debris to get past the filter. If you have removed the MAF screen of course you will not likely see the evidence of it though.

And thinking about it logically, I would have thought a cone filter would be less succeptable to this, as it only has a smalle surface area leading into the air flow, and thusly the pressure on the sealed edges is probably reduced.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree, it does more than I stated. But it is also a last line of defense.

As for filter assemble, no it's completly stock, there car has no mods on it at all. And the fitment is fine, well as good as can be. The clips seem strong and clamp the lid down well, there are no apparent gaps, the filter is in fine condition and a ver snug fit, which seals along the outter edges. But I'm well a where that filters particulary panel ones can allow debis round the side of them, At 150mph at WOT in 3rd (about 5000rpm with an auto) the amount of air pressure on the underside of the filter is probably quite impressive, this compared with the 'sucking' of the engine it is quite feasable for some debris to get past the filter. If you have removed the MAF screen of course you will not likely see the evidence of it though.

And thinking about it logically, I would have thought a cone filter would be less succeptable to this, as it only has a smalle surface area leading into the air flow, and thusly the pressure on the sealed edges is probably reduced.

Have you tried duct tape or super glue? I have a few mad runs like that under my belt and have not experienced that kind of problem.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

ive heard alot of people with broblems, by my screens removed, ported and polished, and it works great noticable gains as well, and i had a spare stock maf just in case something should go wrong, so far im pleased with it ported.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

how much does it cost to get it ported and polished?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

free, its done by the owner :p