Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are electric cutouts smog legal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are electric cutouts smog legal?

Basically all I need to know. I have a flowmaster muffler, came with the car, and I think it sounds pretty good. According to here, though, they flow like crap, so I was considering an electric cutout. The only problem is that when I go to take it to get smogged, I don't want to fail the visual because of it, even if it's closed. Someone help me out?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Not sure but if you get a "permanant" scew-on cap for it just for when it's getting smogged you can say you only uncap it for strip use (if it's indeed illegal which I wouldn't doubt) and there shouldn't really be a way they could prove you wrong...
Old 11-17-2005, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Depends where you are, with my capped cut out I failed emmissions. I told the guy exahust wasnt leaking and the car was emmission friendly. he said any mod to the exhaust like that, that bypasses the muffler is illegal. then again that guy was a dick so most places probally wont mess with you if its capped but they can
Old 11-17-2005, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Well, guess it really isn't an option for me then, unless there's some sort of literature that someone has that shows it's allowed. Thanks. I guess I'll just have to live with the rumbler's decibel level. I just wanted something loud enough to set off car alarms
Old 11-17-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Get some nice LT's and a Borla Adjustable (cutout built in) Catback... you'll set off some alarms

Quick Reply: Are electric cutouts smog legal?