Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I'm going to try to make an oval electric cutout...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 01:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I think I'm going to try to make an oval electric cutout...

Since I started this 402 project, I've been trying to do both dual cutouts, and high flow cats. I really want the cats to help minimize the raw gas smell during startup, but I don't want to put them in front of the cutouts, or else I might as well just put one at the back. QTP's dual cutout ORY looked promising until I figured I'd have to re-design the drivers side for clearance anyway. So Here's what I figured out.

Use a Kooks ORY to to work with the Kooks 1 7/8" headers.
Weld in one cutout flange on the passenger side where the pipe 45's toward the collector.
Put a JetHot in-pipe catalytic converter in that 1 foot of pipe between the collecter and the first 45 (on each side).
On the Drivers side however, the pipe is already partially flattened for clearance at the 45. So to deal with this, I'm going to get another piece of pipe and flatten it to match the existing curvature of the ORY at that bend, weld it in as a y extending it just enough to put on a custom cutout. I imagine the opening would be more like about 2"x3 1/2" oval. I can just run blockoff plates initially, and dyno the car with them open versus closed. There should be an actual gain because the cutout will be before the cats and muffler now. I can put the cutouts on when I finish the new aluminum plate and butterfly valve. I could probably modify a 3 1/2" cutout in an afternoon and have it done.

Anyway, it should be fun to try, and I could use some practice welding anyway
What do you all think?