Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, I broke my MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, I broke my MAF?

Everyone told me not to do it, but I went ahead and ported and descreened my MAF along with my throttle body. Now the car won't run right. It's like the computer still hasnt adjusted in the 70 miles ive drivin it since the battery was disconnected. I get misfires almost everytime I drive the car for a the first couple of m,inutes. And now I'm getting a P0104 code that says "The PCM fhas determined that the mass air flow input is intermittent. I cant find any uslefull information anywhere as to what this code means or what to do with it. So, what happened? Will a tune help? please help.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:34 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why should we offer any help? You diddnt take it the first time...

Are you sure you diddnt screw up the wiring harness or the tiny little wires on the MAF itself. Tune wont help if it is an actual reading problem. Best bet is to buy a new one. Or buy an 85mm "calibrated" MAF, so you'll be one step ahead for down the road if you go with a 90/90 setup. Plus it will settle your craving for that extra .02 CFM!

If we diddnt have real world examples of people's cars taking a **** after this mod, we wouldnt be so against it all the time. Porting the throttle body is fine, but don't touch the MAF. I seem to type this at least once a day, but it still happens.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

I did my best to keep those wires safe from being touched. I dont think anything did, but its a possability. Is there anything elsethat could be causin the problem?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Retired Street Racer

It sounds like you hit one of the wires. You could try borrowing just the sensor part from a local f-body guy and see if it is electronic related.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
I did my best to keep those wires safe from being touched. I dont think anything did, but its a possability. Is there anything elsethat could be causin the problem?

Did you take the MAF apart before porting?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I descreened mine, but listened to everyone when it came to the porting. I have had zero issues with it being descreened. I didn't gain anything noticeable, but I didn't expect to either. I am looking at getting a used screened MAF to see if there are any differences after having it descreened for so long.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Is there any way I can check to see if the wires or fine?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:51 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
Is there any way I can check to see if the wires or fine?
You can swap it out with another one (a friends or somthing)like posted already. Just try not to port his too!

Have you looked inside to see if you can see a broken wire or anything?

You realize that the MAF ends come off if you unscrew the 4 allen screws from the corners right? Did you do this before you worked it over?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

yea i took those screws out, set the plastic part aside, and ported the 2 metal pieces. I guess ill try swapping it in my friends car.