Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals and torque arm??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals and torque arm??

Okay first off Im a newbie ive been reading every post I can find on here to learn as much as I can. And I dont have an LS1 YET....But my Dodge Durango is for sell and as soon as I sell that pos Im getting an LS1....And I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day, and telling him my plans for longtube headers and true dual exhaust.And he said he loved his duals but when he got a aftermarket torque arm he had to switch to a Y pipe. He has a newer Z28 not sure what year but its an LS1 M6, And Im wanting a Trans am dont know if that helps or not.....But is this true? and what exactly is a torque arm and its advantages should I ever even get one???? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but It had to do with exhaust so I thought it would be okay to post here.....
Old 02-13-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The torque arm bolts from the rear axle to the transmission and keeps the rear axle from moving up and down. It basicly locates and keeps the pinion angle. It runs beside the driveshaft in the tunnel. Your bud abviously bought a body or chassis mounted torque arm which instead of bolting to the tranny it now bolts to the floorpan and the crossbrace interferes with a traditional dual system. You can still have duals but instead of having 1 pipe running down each side of the car you will need to run both pipes down the same side. There is very little clearance on F bodies for a traditional dual system thanks to the torque arm taking up the space in the driver side of teh tunnel that a pipe would normaly be located.

Personally I would stay with a traditional dual system and either keep the stock torque arm which is fine until you start doing serious drag racing or get an aftermarket tranny mounted torque arm. Even if you get a tranny mounted torque arm you can get a new trans brace that will relocate the arm to that brace to take the stress off the tailshaft of the tranny.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan @ UMI Performance is taking care of me.

I've got TSP's true duals and I'm going with his trans-mounted torque arm. Since my car will see aggressive launches, I'm going with his transmission crossmember that takes the arm off the tailshaft.

Pics coming soon!
Old 02-14-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good choice, Ryan @ UMI is the best in suspension.