Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling out my motor Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pulling out my motor Help!!!

Where is the best place to hook the hoist up to. I dont have the heads on the motor. would it be easyier to pull it out with the tranny or with out. Im gonna be pulling it from up top because I dont have a lift. I also took out the radiator and a/c I believe I should have enough space to pull it off the tranny. Has anyone done it this way before. Any help is appreciated thanks. this is on an 02 Z28

John
Old 03-03-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this a couple of weeks ago. However my engine was complete with intake and heads. I did however remove the mounts and pedestals. I left the headers in the car, just sneaked the motor past them. I bolted the chains to the bolt holes ABOVE the header bolt holes. Considering your heads are off, thats obviously not an option for removal - it is an option for install though.
To pull the motor AND trans out, use the head bolts through the chains 1 bolt hole back from the front on either side. This way, you get the tilt you need but not to much.
When your ready to re-install your motor, bolt everything back on including the heads, I would leave the intake off this way you have more room to bolt the mounts back on.
Again, use the top row of open bolt holes on the heads. (this is the open row of bolt holes ABOVE the header bolt holes)
Good luck and have fun! Doing this job only took me about 3 hours start to finish. I'm a pro though so don't rush yourself, you run the risk of scratching the car or forgetting something come the time to re-install.
I'm also going to send you a pm - so check.

Justin
Old 03-07-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The height needed to pull the tranny and motor together makes it to dangerous for me to do it again.