Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on stripped valley cover bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on stripped valley cover bolts

I'm trying to take off the allen headed bolts from my valley cover and half of them have stripped out heads. Looking for some ideas to get them out.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Launching!

anyone care to help a girl out
Old 03-06-2006, 10:32 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The head like where the allen wrench goes into? Sounds like you were using the wrong size (standard vs. metric). Allens will strip the heads EASY with the wrong size.

You can get an ease-out and see if you can't get it to bite in the hole. Use the biggest one possible. You can tap it into the hole a bit to make it grab, then use a wrench to back it out.

Here are some i had in the toolbox. The one that's broken off is about the size you'll need. Try not to break it off though lol. They work like a reverse-tap, after you tap it into the hole, and turn it counter clockwise, it tries to go down in the hole, but it is tapered so it just gets tighter. Eventually it's easier to unscrew the bolt than to screw the ease-out in farther, and VIOLA. Bolt comes out. I've used these COUNTLESS times.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worst comes to worst you could cut the heads off of the cbolts, pull trhe cover off and pull them out with some vice grips. the valley cover and gasket are pretty trhink so you can get a good grip on the bolts.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:07 AM
Launching!

Find the next largest size allen wrench , one that won't quite fit into the stripped head, then file a gentle taper on each of the six sides of the allen wrench so it fits about half way down into the stripped head. Hold the allen with vise grips, then, with a hammer, gently tap the allen into the stripped head by hitting the vise grips next to the allen wrench shaft. Turn with the vise grips. The "new" allen will have crisp corners and should bite into the head, letting you turn it. I've also had some luck using a Torx head that, again, is just a little too big and then tapping it into the stripped head.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:09 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice tool set Blur!