Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temp Gauge

Hope somebody can help me out on where I should locate the sending unit for an oil temperature gauge on a 2001 SS (LS1). I’ve got an Autometer electric oil temp gauge mounted and wiring run to the engine.

The gauge manufacturer said something about a "pressure port" near the oil filter, but my Chevy service tech claims I would lose a “critical” idiot light if I put it there. I looked in this area and I’m not sure exactly where they are talking about anyway. Seems to me the sending unit should be "in the oil", but I'm certainly no expert.

Also, my tech said the oil pan drain plug looks like it would be too close to the headers (FLP’s), but I haven't checked on this myself yet. Thanks for any help and advice!

Houghtie

Real pretty car, so I try and do right by her and feed her nothin' but the best stuff!
Old 03-10-2006, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a fitting right above the oil filter that comes off with two bolts. Take off this piece and then drill/tap the top hole that's plugged and thread your sending unit into it. That's where I have my sending unit.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/gaugepod.html

This website has some pics of the fitting.

Kevin
Old 03-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks so much! Exactly what I needed!

By the way, thats a super website!

Houghtie