Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about O2 sims and extenstions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about O2 sims and extenstions

I searched this briefly but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I just want to make sure I understand this before I spend the money. So here goes:

I have a 1999 Camaro LS1. If I get off road headers and off road Y-pipe, I assume I need two O2 sims. Do I need an O2 extension also? If so, what length will I need?

If I also replace the rear with a Magnaflow cat-back, do I then need two additional O2 sims and extension for the rear as well? If so, what length will I need?

I really appreciate your help, so thank you very much in advance!
Old 03-13-2006, 06:17 PM
SPL
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSCam99
I searched this briefly but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I just want to make sure I understand this before I spend the money. So here goes:

I have a 1999 Camaro LS1. If I get off road headers and off road Y-pipe, I assume I need two O2 sims. Do I need an O2 extension also? If so, what length will I need?

If I also replace the rear with a Magnaflow cat-back, do I then need two additional O2 sims and extension for the rear as well? If so, what length will I need?

I really appreciate your help, so thank you very much in advance!
You will need the extensions for the O2s. You can get O2 sims for the rear to prevent your SES light coming on, but from what I have read you don't really need them. Also if you have off road headers you are going to be removing your AIR and EGR so you will get a SES anyway.

You don't need any O2 sims or extensions for the catback.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

all LT headers (assuming you're getting them) are technically off road - you will throw codes for using race only headers because you will be removing the AIR & EGR. since you are going to be staring at your SES light, you might as well skip the O2 sims for the rears (they only prevent a code being thrown for not having the rear O2's plugged in). you will need to use either extensions or vette REAR O2's for the front O2 sensors on your car
Old 03-13-2006, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

so i take it your rear o2s arn't going to cut it as far as length is concerned? I was hoping i could take one of the longer ones and use it for one of the headers..
Old 03-13-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

I think the lenghts are the same for the rear and front O2s. You'll need extensions for the fronts for sure.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can just have the rears deleted in a tune... but you still need the fronts...
Old 03-13-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

For the fronts you will need either extensions, or a set of vette rear o2s (bosch 13111) the vette rears have longer wires and eliminate the need for extensions.
For the rear o2s, you either need a pair of o2 sims, or to have them tuned out.
If you plan on using a catback (no matter what brand) just installing a catback does not mean you have to do anything with the o2 sensors