Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight pipe exhaust /Stock Manifolds/Y Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight pipe exhaust /Stock Manifolds/Y Pipe

Hi, I was looking for something louder than my SLP Dual/Dual system I already have, and was wondering what my car might sound like if I removed the muffler from the system all together? I can't seem to find a video of such a combination. Also, would this decrease or improve performance?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you remove the muffler you will decrease your backpressure, it will be loud but will also crackel.
I would suggest going with a different cat back system like the loud mouth from SLP which only has a resonator and is fairly loud. I like mine.
You will hurt the performance a little without back pressure, After i removed my SLP Dual Dual muffler it wasloud and sounded good but would crackel and pop when of the gas. The Loudmouth also has a aggressive tone.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

you won't hurt performance without a muffler. You may end up losing a bit of low end torque (then again you may not) but you WILL gain in the area where it matters with decreased backpressure. That being said, straight pipes sound like complete @ss on these cars.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Staging Lane

Heh, figured as much, the LS1 doesnt exactly have that good ol' small block sound to it, well I guess i'll have to look elsewhere for my exhaust solution. That being said, anyone got a clip of striaght-pipes anyway?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

!muffler will not have any more backpressure than the loudmouth or dynomouth. The cats produce more backpressure than the mufflers do. Also, Backpressure does not raise torque, it only lowers the power band so the torque peaks earlier. The !muffler will sound very unrefined IMO. A cheap alternative would be the dyno-mouth exhaust. Remove the muffler and replace with 2.5" tubing, then cut the I pipe and add a single 3" bullet muffler. This is a very inexpensive exhaust, yet it sounds great.

Quick Reply: Straight pipe exhaust /Stock Manifolds/Y Pipe