Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best new induction setup on my SS???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation best new induction setup on my SS???

Hi, over the past few days I've been reading a lot of posts on this and several other message boards about the best aftermarket induction setups for LS1 Camaros. You guys seem to be really knowledgable so I figured I'd join this message board and post in hopes of finding some answers. Here's the deal....I just bought a 2002 Camaro SS and it is completely stock. I'm looking to beef up it's horsepower as much as I can, but being a college student, money is a bit tight. I'm looking to spend around $400 (or less if possible) and was wondering what setup would give me the greatest gains in this price range. I've done some research and originally thought the SLP Flowpac would be my best bet, but some people were saying that for SS's with the functional hood scoop, the cold air kit included with the Flowpac was just a waste of money. Then I found out about the Volant kit and how it works well with the SS because it takes the air coming in from the scoop and completely seals it off and sends it into the engine. However, other people were saying that the hood scoop doesnt really start working until you hit 80 mph anyway, so the cold air intake is a better option to begin with. To make matters even more complicated theres a ton of other options out there, like the K&N FIPK II or the Fast Toys ram air setup or the Austin SSRA setup, etc. I've also heard reports of people having problems driving in the rain or having puddles splash up into their undercar intake and mess up the engine. I live in the northeast, and at times the rain can get a bit hairy. I dont drive through rivers or anything like that, but I'd need something that could maybe get an occasional splash or two on it without destroying my car. Wow, this post has gotten a bit longer than I originally thought, so to sum up I basically would appreciate any info on what would give me the most bang for my buck ($400 or less) and would work well with my SS's already functional hood scoop. Thanks for taking the time to read this guys, and I really appreciate any help you could give!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

i would just say go with a mti clear lid and k&n filter they look badass to
Old 06-04-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any kind of lid, they're all about the same, K&N filter and a one of the CAI (SSRA, FTRA, etc.) and you'll be set. Unless you plan on swimming in your camaro, you shouldn't worry about hydrolocking it. Take the money you saved and put it towards a catback which you will be wanting soon.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or do something like SUX2BU. Search under his name for his custom ram-air system. It is inexpensive and really works. It's on my list.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

just get a lid...save the other 150-200 for more mods...and don't bother with a k&n either..the oil from the filter can mess up your maf. a paper filter cost 2 dollars...k&n is 50..not worth it.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lid - 100
hooker catback - 300
port tb yourself - dremel

you will be happy with the perfromance/$ of these mods.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been doing some message board hopping and found out some stuff about cutting out the bottom of the air box as was suggested to me above. It's called the "free ram air" mod, or FRA. It doesnt sound too difficult but my question is will it be more likely to suck up dirt and or water into my exposed air filter and gum things up? Also, since I'm running the functional SS ram air hood, will having that extra air coming in from underneath create any problems? Some people said that having both creates a weird effect with the air that when used together actually makes for worse air flow then when either is used seperately.