Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running motor w/out egr/air blockoffs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running motor w/out egr/air blockoffs?

What would happen, obviously pass some exhaust out the headers, and have air pass through the intake manifold through the port after the TB. Do any real damage?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:21 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car would run like compelete **** with a 1-3/8" hole in the manifold, if it would even stay running at all. The unplugged exhaust would make alot of noise and potentially burn something too.

Any real reason you're asking this?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh it's totally hypothetical... I mean I'm asking for a friend.... Okay, okay, my car has been out for a couple weeks because something came up in the middle of my header/exhaust install. Finally got it finished last night and thought I had the important stuff taken care of (oil replaced, spark plugs installed and hooked up), so I wanted to hear the beast. Cranked it over, idled like someone had a hot poker in it's ***, so I immediately shut it down and realized what it was. Yeah, yeah, I'm a dumbass.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:36 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superjoe
Uh it's totally hypothetical... I mean I'm asking for a friend.... Okay, okay, my car has been out for a couple weeks because something came up in the middle of my header/exhaust install. Finally got it finished last night and thought I had the important stuff taken care of (oil replaced, spark plugs installed and hooked up), so I wanted to hear the beast. Cranked it over, idled like someone had a hot poker in it's ***, so I immediately shut it down and realized what it was. Yeah, yeah, I'm a dumbass.

That's pretty funny! You're probably just fine. The rev's screaming up was due to the big *** hole in the manifold. Any autoparts store should sell a 1-3/8" adjustable freeze plug for the manifold and LS1speed.com (speed inc.) sells the blockoff plates. You could also make your own with some metal, a cutting device, and a drill.