Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off-Road Y-Pipe questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Off-Road Y-Pipe questions

I am about to start my exhaust work and I just had a few questions. Thanks to the help from a lot of you guys I have decided to go with the pacesetter LT with the Texas Speed off-road Y-Pipe. I am going with the $500 kit that includes everything. I am going to stay with the stock exhaust that I have now but I am going to upgrade to the SLP LoudMouth. I know that a lot of people here claim it is to loud, but that is what I want. So my first question is: am I going to be allright switching out my exhaust later or should I just go ahead and put the LM in first and THEN add the headers and Y-pipe. (My preferance is to add the LM later on) My next question has to do with the removal of the 02 sensors. If it is not to much trouble could someone explain or give me a link that will show me what all I need to do. The main thing is I don't want the SES light coming on everytime I get down the road. My final question has to do with the E.G.R. I have a 2000 so I am under the impression that in order to run the "cat-less" off road Y I am going to have to do some things with the E.G.R. Again the same thing with the o2 sensors, if someone could give me some tips on what I should expect to fully complete the removal process I would appreciate it. I am going to install the headers myself and I feel confident about it, but before I just jump right in I would like to have as much info from some people that have actually gotten there hands dirty. Again any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28
I am going to stay with the stock exhaust that I have now but I am going to upgrade to the SLP LoudMouth. I know that a lot of people here claim it is to loud, but that is what I want.
Have you heard, in person, a loudmouth equipped car with no cats? It's not that it's too loud, it's raspy and sounds (IMO) like complete ****.

So my first question is: am I going to be allright switching out my exhaust later or should I just go ahead and put the LM in first and THEN add the headers and Y-pipe. (My preferance is to add the LM later on)
There is no reason you can't do headers and Y-pipe keeping the stock exhaust. The stock muffler is a huge restriction though, you will gain very little power with it. Unless the loudmouth or another aftermarket cat back is going on soon I would invest in a simple, manual cutout to bypass the stock muffler in the meantime.

My next question has to do with the removal of the 02 sensors. If it is not to much trouble could someone explain or give me a link that will show me what all I need to do. The main thing is I don't want the SES light coming on everytime I get down the road.
You will need O2 sims or (preferably) a tune or PCM edit to keep the SES light away if you are not running cats. Removing O2 sensors is easy unless they are rusted, in which case it'll take some work but the process is simple. You can rent O2 wrenches from AutoZone to use on them.

My final question has to do with the E.G.R. I have a 2000 so I am under the impression that in order to run the "cat-less" off road Y I am going to have to do some things with the E.G.R.
Rip it out. Order your headers as "race style" or whatever they call it where you have no AIR or EGR connections. Remove the AIR and EGR systems (if you have both, forget what '00s have) and use the tuning or PCM edit (which you need to get rid of the SES light for not having cats) to also get rid of the light that would result from no AIR or EGR.