Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPE Electric Cutout Question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HPE Electric Cutout Question.

Okay guys I need your help on this one. I just got some 1 7/8 Kooks headers with a 3 inch offroad Y pipe, now I am looking to put on dual electric cutouts to put on this system, basically right around the place where the cats would have been. I found these seemingly high quality cutouts at a reasonable price and talked to the guy that runs the store. They are called HPE and you can check them out for yourself at http://www.LS1tech.com. Basically, the question I have is threefold:

1. Do you think these cutouts would fit in the location I outlined earlier granted that the electric cutout part is 10.5-11 inches at its longest (note my car is lowered on Eibach prokit)?

2. Does anyone have experience with these cutouts? And if so suggestions on where best to install them if the location I have suggested is not suitable.

3. Finally, they sell flanges that attach to the top of the electric cutout (they have a picture on the site). The guy I talked to said they serve the purpose of running side-out exhausts as well as protecting the electric cutout itself and keeping things from going back into the pipe. Now I have no desire to do the side-out exhaust so is it worth to buy these flanges just for the protection (I have used manually operated cutouts before, obviously with no flanges and had no problem). So are two of these worth the money or should I just get the cutouts?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Help me out guys

Last edited by TheBlurLS1; 06-11-2006 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Non-Sponsor Link
Old 06-10-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ibtl..
Old 06-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

I am sorry I fail to see how this is off topic. Perhaps you can explain Sil3NtXWS6.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:29 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure it would fit fine. 99% of the people just run a straight cutout with nothing past the butterfly, so I'm sure you'll be alright with that too. Running a bit of pipe with a turndown on them would improve the sound quality though.

The only problem would be with the ground clearance. Running one cutout in the I-pipe would be cheaper, have better ground clearance, and offer plenty of flow unless you are making gobs of power.

Since you will be welding this in, there shouldn't be a problemwith chopping up that cutout tie-in and making it shorter. The exhaust shop that put my cats in hacked the slip-fits off the ends and buttwelded it to make them fit.

BTW - We don't allow non-sponsor linking on this site. The sponsors are what keeps this sight going. If they see something they don't want to see, like a product similar to theirs which is sold by a non-sponser, they can send out an email which goes to every moderator and every administrator wanting it changed. QTP is a sponsor here if you haven't found out already and they sell electric cutouts exactly like that. Theres also a few other sponsors that sell different brands of cutouts as well.

Last edited by TheBlurLS1; 06-11-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Blur appreciate the help. Also thanks for the heads up on the link issue.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so does any have any experience with them?