Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hesitation and backfire Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitation and backfire Part 2

Car is STILL hesitating badly throughout the 1000-3000 range , the car is backfiring aswell. I replaced the spark plugs ( Ngk tr-55 platinum, Gapped at .06 ) plug wires (MSD Super conductor wires) , and replaced the passenger side O2 sensor. It is NOT throwing any codes. What else could be my problems? It started doing it really badly after i installed the duals.

Could I need a tune? I havent added any mods that would require a tune . Pacesetter LT's , Tsp Duals , and a whisper lid. I've read that in rare cases it may need a tune. Im trying to weed out all possibilities before i start tearing it down. The backfires are inconsistent, meaning some pop louder than the others. I know duals can cause backfire , but this sounds like a .22 going off at times .

So i guess Im asking you all to start naming off possibilities of something that will cause these problems.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine jus tdid it, start it, pop the hood, and hit the throttle from up front, watching the lid, if it sucks hard, like it's starving for air, then maybe your lid is too close to your maf, causing off readings and sucking. If so, loosen the clamp, back it off a little, and try again, or just lift the lid and hit the throttle, if that's it it'll smooth out
Old 06-25-2006, 11:32 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel filter? You'd be suprised at some of the symptoms. I started pricing getting my moms transmission rebuilt in her truck a few years back because it felt like it was slipping like no other. Changed the fuel filter and it ran perfect for another 80k miles untill we sold it at 220k.

Originally Posted by 98SS1LWEE
Mine jus tdid it, start it, pop the hood, and hit the throttle from up front, watching the lid, if it sucks hard, like it's starving for air, then maybe your lid is too close to your maf, causing off readings and sucking. If so, loosen the clamp, back it off a little, and try again, or just lift the lid and hit the throttle, if that's it it'll smooth out
Old 06-26-2006, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Coil pack wiring harness plugged in wrong/backwards ?

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ehatcher
Car is STILL hesitating badly throughout the 1000-3000 range , the car is backfiring aswell. I replaced the spark plugs ( Ngk tr-55 platinum, Gapped at .06 ) plug wires (MSD Super conductor wires) , and replaced the passenger side O2 sensor. It is NOT throwing any codes. What else could be my problems? It started doing it really badly after i installed the duals.

Could I need a tune? I havent added any mods that would require a tune . Pacesetter LT's , Tsp Duals , and a whisper lid. I've read that in rare cases it may need a tune. Im trying to weed out all possibilities before i start tearing it down. The backfires are inconsistent, meaning some pop louder than the others. I know duals can cause backfire , but this sounds like a .22 going off at times .

So i guess Im asking you all to start naming off possibilities of something that will cause these problems.
1. o2 sensors are toast
2. Spark plugs faulty or not gapped properly
3. Faulty/defective plug wires
4. Short circuits in ignition, coil(s) or plug wires
5. Clogged/dirty fuel filter and/or injectors
6. Vacuum leak at intake manifold or plenum or hoses
7. If you have EGR, possible leak
8. Ignition timing incorrect
9. Damaged valve springs or sticking valves

Hope this helps.