Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iridium Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Iridium Spark Plugs

After my car was detonating on a bad tune, I switched to a set of iridium plugs from the NGK tr55's. After a new tune and the new plugs the "pinging" was gone. I pulled out all the plugs on the drivers side to check them out after about 2 weeks of daily driving and they were orangish red color. A very days later they were slightly more tannish with a few white speckled spots. Am I running lean or hot or is this normal for those plugs? I'm not familiar with that reddish orange color. Do the iridiums get reddish when they break it? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

not mine...mine were clean after 30-40,000 miles. AC DELCO plugs. Something is up I would say.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Are you running octane booster? That's one of the side effects of octane boost...the plugs will turn an orangeish color.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm curious too, cause back about two years ago i had some knock retard and misfires detected by autotap that have yet to be determined, and i have a set of NGK TR55's put in a little before that time. Do i need new ones? If so, What is recommended?? SHould i go back with them?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

It has been about 3 or so tanks without octane booster and I havent put any in with the new plugs. Plugs were put in just a few weeks ago. There could be some in the tank but it should be pretty dilluted by now. It that why it was more reddish at first and then about a week later it was more tannish with white speckles?