Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need new cats

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need new cats

one of my cats is gone, i was told by a few different places that i have to get direct fit, anywhere else they werent sure which would fit, even went up to summit racing and they guy didnt seem to know anything about cars at all, have a 2001 trans am, and i really dont want to spend the $500 on direct fit, what have others done? all stock exhaust with a borla cat back
Old 07-03-2006, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are not in CA then I'd look at adding LT headers and a new Y pipe with CATS.

You can buy CATS pretty cheap ~$100 if you want but you'd then need to have it fabbed into the stock exhaust.

Texas Speed & Performance sell Pacesetter Long Tube headers and a catted Y pipe for about $700. These will make a noticable difference in HP. Also these are high performance cats and won't affect HP either.

If you are in CA then you will not be able to run LT's. But high flow after market cats would still be an option and a lot cheaper than OEM CATS.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have less than 80k miles on your car the dealer will replace it for free. They have to by federal law. I had a cat go out on my truck after the 3/36 warranty went out I took it in to them and they replaced it no questions asked. Since the feds make you keep emmissions equipment they make that the manufacturer makes a quality system by mandating that they take care of it for a longer period of time (8 years or 80k miles). I would talk to a dealer before you spend money on something you might not have to.

Josh
Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

out of warranty and dont have a ton of money to spend right now, what size cat (in, out, and length?) and what brand? want to go high flow of course
Old 07-05-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

bump...whats the diameter of the stock y pipe and what size cats do i need that will weld right in?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:32 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to the parts needed section and snag some for cheap from a member here. If you live near a decently populated city, you might be able to go pick up some from a member for free.

People in Houston are always giving **** away in the Texas section.