Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing Exhaust

I currently have the flowmaster 80 series muffler on my 98 camaro z28. It came with the car when i bought it about 3 years ago. I wnated to change it with something like the LM set up but i dont want to spend all that $$$ on the cat back kit because I might have to put her up for sale because the family is growing and I will eventually need more room. Would it be wise to just get a bullet muffler and have a muffler she fab up the exhaust?? Also by getting a bullet will that cause emissions issues. I live in brooklyn NY and i have to get the car inspected yearly and I should keep the car for another 2 years or so.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm one of those "do it right or don't do it at all" people. a loudmouth is under $400 for a full, stainless steel catback that will last forever and likely outperforms every other catback under the sun. that is dirt cheap for such a high quality catback.

a muffler alone is ~$100. if it were me i'd spend the extra $300 and get the whole system.

if you're that strapped for cash, just get a cutout. it'll produce similar sound to the LM, similar performance and be just as loud if not louder. they're only $50. then when you're sick of the noise or have the kids in the car, cap it and be quiet again (well, quiet compared to the cutout ). i will be adding a cutout to my catback as soon as my new credit card comes with my cashback rewards should be here any day now.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i'm one of those "do it right or don't do it at all" people. a loudmouth is under $400 for a full, stainless steel catback that will last forever and likely outperforms every other catback under the sun. that is dirt cheap for such a high quality catback.

a muffler alone is ~$100. if it were me i'd spend the extra $300 and get the whole system.

if you're that strapped for cash, just get a cutout. it'll produce similar sound to the LM, similar performance and be just as loud if not louder. they're only $50. then when you're sick of the noise or have the kids in the car, cap it and be quiet again (well, quiet compared to the cutout ). i will be adding a cutout to my catback as soon as my new credit card comes with my cashback rewards should be here any day now.
will there be emissions issues with a cut out?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Tech Resident

no. cutouts go before the muffler in the I-pipe but after the catalytic converters. your emissions will not change. the only pollution you'll have to worry about is noise pollution my friend
Old 07-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
no. cutouts go before the muffler in the I-pipe but after the catalytic converters. your emissions will not change. the only pollution you'll have to worry about is noise pollution my friend
this is very true. I didnt look at it like that. Now im not going to ask which is better cause everone has a different opinion but i will ask which has the best warrenty? Just incase......
Old 07-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Resident

for a cutout? go to www.thunderracing.com

they sell a stainless QTP cutout for $45. this is the one i'm going to get. it's stainless so it'll outlast the exhaust it's welded in. the warranty shouldn't matter as it's stainless steel and a manual cutout so there's nothing that can really go wrong with it that is QTP's fault. if you are interested in an electric cutout, i'd be worried about a warranty. however, an electric cutout is ~$200 so for that money you may as well get a whole catback
Old 07-13-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having a cut out gets annoying with the cabin resonation. Out the back, however loud it is, is the way to go.